cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Drops Here Too

N/A

I too am getting connection drops, randomly, over last 2 weeks. Used to be able to surf, have email checks every 2mns, chat online and listen to Internet radio stations wih no problem. Nothing changed on my system (Win2K Pro Cairo, SP4, Conexant ADSL USB modem, 800M Ram, 40G HD, Athlon XP2000. MSI6378 mobo, virii/spy ads free, etc...).

At best can continue online activities if I wait 30-60sec after loss of connection, at worst have to turn off/on modem.

Stange, isn't it?
===
Bruno
49 REPLIES
N/A

Yes it is strange. Mine has been like that for two weeks now.Nothing changed on my machine,all I get told is 'check your wiring'.
I'm seriously fed up now and in the process of finding another isp.
N/A

i had the same probs for 3 weeks until i upgraded my firmware for my solwise 110 router. been up now for 16 hours and counting Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Bruno, BT have have been doing some maintenance work in your area, including last night due to a problem with a system card that was running at risk. I believe this has now been replaced, which would have been done last night. There's another maintenance slot scheduled for the early hours of 28th April for your area.

dmcwhan, there was some maintenance work on the 16th and 19th April in your area, although looking at your connection logs I'd also advise looking into any idle timelimit settings you may have set up.
N/A

Yep, I would like to add my name to the list suffering similar loss of connection problems. Everything running fine until a few days ago. Now a nightmare.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

BT have done some maintenance work in your area too over the last few days, but I would also recommend checking out this tutorial to see if anything there helps.
N/A

I don't have any idle time limits set up on my system and have checked everything I can. My connection is still cutting out.As a result downloads have been very difficult of late.
Any help would be much appreciated as it seems the service isn't what it used to be.
N/A

dmcwhan : what is yoiur connection equipment - router, USB, PCI ?Huh
N/A

I'm using a pci modem supplied by plus net.
N/A

dmcwhan:

OK, there appears to be an issue with the SAR router at the moment and the need to upgrade the firmware, that is why I asked the question.

The reason PlusNet would have mentioned idle settings, is because (I assume) the connection log shows disconnections at specific time intervals.
I would try an experiment and plug into the master socket with a new filter. This will rule out any fault with internal wiring and filters. Filters can go faultly and extension wires run under carpets can get damaged. Wink
I do not know, but can you get the attenuation and SNR figures from that modem ?Huh
N/A

Ok , I've spent a bit of time trying to sort out this connection problem of mine.
I've tried new cables,splitters,different phone sockets etc all to no avail.
Anyone got any more ideas ?
I don't fancy getting BT in to tell me there's nothing wrong with the line and to charge me £60 for the privilage.
When I first joined plus net i was on the dial up which was great at first,first time connections,no connection loss. After a while the service got worse,I wonder if the same is happening with the broadband ?
Community Veteran

Try disabling/uninstalling (which is sometime necessary) all your firewall, resident virus scanners and pop-up stoppers so you effectively have a clean connection to the net and see if that solves the problem. If it does then you need to identify the conflicting software.

I don't know if the PCI modem has updated drivers available?
N/A

Any maintenance in my area? It's very strange, has only happened in the past 3 days or so. Nothing has changed on my computer since then.
N/A

I've been having connection problems for a few weeks now. The connection will drop regularly. It started off only happening every few days. Now its daily. It dropped 3 times in the space of an hour the other day. The only choice is to switch the box off and on again. I'm using the LAN Router for connection.

It is getting very frustrating, especially if I leave large downloads running over night. I can get up in the morning to find the connection dropped not long after I went to bed.
N/A

I can see why it's annoying...I wouldn't mind if it was every 6 hours, but it's when it happens a few times every hour or every hour that it gets annoying...

I have to say that I haven't had any disconnections in almost 3 hours, so I am a happy bunny at the moment.