cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Dropping Off

N/A

Connection Dropping Off

Hi All,

Has anyone any experience on the internet connection just dropping off. There is no pattern to it I could be browsing this forum, writing an email or playing a game. All of a sudden I have lost my connection. Time frame has no pattern to it ether. I could be on for 1 minute or 6 hours suddenly it has gone. Not connected to incomeing phone calls and I have checked all my Internet Settings, nothing in there would cuase it to happen.

As you would expect the help desk has been no help.

Many thanks for any advice and help given.

David M
19 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection Dropping Off

> Hi.
for the last two weeks or so i had the same problem...
i revisited the way i had connected everything up (read the instructions this time, i have the USB Modem) and so far, fingers crossed, have been ok for a couple of days. i have no explanation for why it suddenly didn't like my setup which had been working fine up til then. hope this is of some help, sometimes its worth clutching at straws!!

karl
N/A

Thanks for the straws Karl.

I had this problem last November. Then I had a BT engineer around to check everything out etc... All ok. Then suddenly it was alright, until now.

I have done the revisiting connection bit just like you.

For the last day it has been fine again.

Having said that I lost connection just as I was posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N/A

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone any experience on the internet connection just dropping off.

Same here - for a few days now - see my earlier post "re-connect!". Yesterday was ok but Access Runner was on and off again quite a lot around 6pm today
fonejacker
Grafter

Can you chaps clarify what you mean by 'lost connection'?

Is your ADSL Modem / Router losing syncronisation with the exchange, or is it your actual ppp connection which is dropping off?

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> Can you chaps clarify what you mean by 'lost connection'?
>
> Is your ADSL Modem / Router losing syncronisation with the exchange, or is it your actual ppp connection which is dropping off?

Ok - the tray icon on mouse over has gone from "connected" to "connecting".
The access runner "dialer pane" comes up and attempts to redial (if i am downloading or using the connection). When it fails it gives the retry/cancel error message. Eventually I get the audible tone telling me that I have reconnected (confirmed by mouse over) Then I can "dial in" again. Hope this makes sense!
N/A

come on Ian dont bullshit us u know what the problem is and it is at plusnets end again. plusnet are really a disgrace

dhumble
Grafter

Offcourse Guy could have logically considered, and shared the fact that it could be; a faulty connection, faulty device, faulty telephone line, faulty exchange equipment, electro-magnetic interference (EMI), radio wave interference (RFI) and finally, faulty ISP configuration or faulty ISP devices.

Of which, with the little details provided so far, the end source has been assumed the culprit. Good one!

1. Check all connections between computer and phone line.

2. At this point I would normally suggest trying other cables too but I don't think many people would have spare modem cables! Modem cables are quite flimsly and an intermittent break in the wire/s or a poor connection to the plug/s could drop your line.

3. If you have another ADSL splitter (most do), swap them over and test further.

4. Unplug any devices that 'dial out', such as Sky Digi-box and test further. I know of two people who loose their DSL connection with a Amstrad Digibox plugged into their phone network.

5. Turn off any transmitters, C.B., HAM, TV/AV senders and test further.

Once these have been disproved then a good plea and discription of the problem in a forum may reap a solution.

Next contact your ISP and solicit their help. If they then see/say that there appears to be no problem their end they may either contact B.T. or suggest that you do so and have the line tested.

Did I miss anything out Guy ;-)

David Humble
N/A

I've also started having problems recently, despite months of almost 24/7 access.

It probably started about a week ago, and now its dropped off about at least dozen times since then.

I dont mind testing a few things, but doesnt it seem odd to anyone?

Maybe Plusnet can check to see if there is any link with the accounts mentioned.

Gareth
N/A

Yep I've recently started getting the same problem too, on a USR Sureconnect modem.

Naturally Plusnet say it's my fault
--
N/A

Have you all raised tickets with Plusnet?

if you hadnt I would recommend you do.

From the look of my event log the problem got worse last night and was down for longer periods and disconnected more often.

Gareth
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi Guys,

I have been doing my best to investigate the possible causes of this problem. It would seem as though a number of ISPs have also received an increase in reports of the same problem (See the Nildram discussion forums on ADSLGuide for an example). The problem here is that in just about every case, both with PlusNet and the other ISPs, the problem has been cured by a change of some factor at the customers premises, rather than by a change of something at this side or by the actions of a BT engineer.

I am not, and have never suggested that the problem is NOT something we are responible for solving, but what I do need to point out is that our network doesn't start until BT have gathered most of the ADSL users in the UK on a central platform and then seperated them out and passed them to indivudal ISPs. That means technically we don't have any control over the physical connection to your exchange and as such if you are losing syncronisation this CANNOT be something directly related to our network configuration.

My suspicion is that this is a problem relating to noise tolerances and will be shared by all ISPs who use any L2TP Central pipes from BT (That is just about all of the Big ISPs who rely on BTs network). BT have, over the last few months been carrying out rolling exchange upgrade programs and as far as I can tell this is the only thing that has changed with the ADSL service over the past few months.

The reality of this situation is that we need our customers assistance and patience in resolving this. 95% of the fix for this problem will be in identifying what is wrong. This comes by identifying patterns in the problem, geographical area, exchange equipment type and most importantly, which steps improve the problem and which make it worse.

I'm sorry I don't have an instant answer to this. What I need to ask from people reporting this is that they remain open to suggestions and are very accurate about the problems they report, what steps have been taken so far and whether any patterns can be identified (time of day being an especially good one). I am very sure that customers who are experaincing this problem with PlusNet would equally experiance it with another ISP given the nature of ADSL service delivery.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Thanks for the response Ian.

I'm happy to test or report back with anything that may help. My aim is to get is resolved not to point fingers.

Please let me know what I need to do, I do have a ticket raised on the system for this problem if you want to post there rather than here.

thanks again,
Gareth
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi Gareth,

I have asked one of the support guys to run some advanced tests on your line - At this stage I'm afraid it's just a cause of excersising some theories and then passing the problem onto BT with a note sayting that this fault does not appear to be unique.

Regards,

Ian
silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All

I too have been getting this problem ever since my ADSL line was installed Approx 4 weeks. I have had a contact us open for 3 weeks on this problem. The "contact us" seem to be focusing on my specific connection and, to be honest, I'm a little disappointed over the help I've been receiving. The support staff seem to be concentrating on suggestions that will cost me money but not PlusNet. Like try better quality filters (at my cost) Which, since Plus net provided the originals, I have to ask why are they supplying filters which will potentially up there support costs in the first place!!. The latest is Lets get the line checked by BT at a cost to me of £100+ if no fault is found.

My argument is that since I've contracted PlusNet to supply ADSL and the H/W if the problem occurs with only the supplied kit plugged into the Master BT socket then the Problem is PlusNets not mine!

Like others I have provided as much evidence of the problem and tried all sorts different configurations and fed them back through the "contact us". However, all these have been my ideas and not one has come from the support team.

I am now surprised to find I am not alone with this issue and it could be a wider problem.

My recent testing has revolved around my system. I have move PCI slot for the modem with out improvement. My last change was to reduced the box to a single processor and have now run for 24hours without a disconnect(Previous record was 90mins). Now this could be a coincident as now it appears there could be problems with the ADSL network. I shall try putting the second cpu back tonight and see if the problem returns.

Come on Plus net. This seem to me to be a real problem and not an isolated incident.
I am more than willing to perform any testing and provide any logs you ask for So lets have a concerted effort to nail this once and for all.