cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two PC’s to plusnet broadband

N/A

I cannot (easily) network my PC’s at home as one of them is my wife’s schools where it is on a domain.
I have 2 phone sockets both with filters can I plug both my PC’s in and get them both on broadband at the same time. Without a network that is
Alternatively I have just bought a Voyager 205 router, which can have 2 pc’s attached, but do they need to be networked
9 REPLIES
N/A

1) You CAN'T plug two ADSL modems in to one phone line at the same time
2) Using a routing modem (i.e. via ethernet) has nothing to do with domains etc. Domains are only used for authentication and access to shared resources.
3) Even if one machine is on a domain and the other isn't you can still connect them on the same LAN and communicate between them.
N/A

Thank you for reply. I now know not to try plugging 2 modems onto my line. I had tried to network PC’s but the XP network wizard could not do it as one is on a domain.
I am still not sure if I can plug both PC’s into the router without them being networked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Although not entirely specific to your question I can advise that when I was setting up my router initially I had a mixture of XP, Me and 98 machines and getting them to see each other was a total pig. The fact that I sorted it out eventually is irrelevant but the point is that before I got the network working properly they could all access the Internet through my 4 port Netgear wired router.
N/A

Thank you for reply. I now know not to try plugging 2 modems onto my line. I had tried to network PC’s but the XP network wizard could not do it as one is on a domain.
I am still not sure if I can plug both PC’s into the router without them being networked

This doesn't matter. Tell the non-domain PC that it's a member of a workgroup, not a domain. The domain PC should just work over the ethernet connection (no need to configure anything as it should have been done by whoever set it up on the domain). Both machines should be able to see the internet. With some messing with local accounts and/or firewall settings they can probably be convinced to see/talk to each other as well.
N/A

Both machines should be able to see the internet. With some messing with local accounts and/or firewall settings they can probably be convinced to see/talk to each other as well.

Yes with the domain laptop using the ethernet connection and the other PC using the USB both machines are on the internet. How do I get them to see/talk to each other. it would be good if they could both use the printer
Community Veteran

You can't if one is using domain and the other is using a workgroup, the two methods of networking are mutually exclusive. Changing the domain PC to use workgroups will then mean it can no longer connect to the schools network - that's assuming you actually have admin rights on the laptop to change the network settings. If it is setup correctly you should not.
N/A

Having got both machines connected to the internet without a network (using a router)I was hoping to also be able to print from both again without a network.
The post from sptodd suggested to me that this might be possible.
I am not going to change from a domain as that is needed at school
N/A

You can't if one is using domain and the other is using a workgroup, the two methods of networking are mutually exclusive. ...

This is just plain wrong. Non domain machines can't connect using domain credentials, but domain member machines can still have local accounts/passwords which you can use to connect. Converesely domain machines can connect to workgroup resources providing they provide local credentials.

Answering the other question, the simplest method is to plug the printer into the non-domain machine, create a named account on this machine, give it permissions to use the printer and connect using machinename\accountname
Community Veteran

I have two pcs each connected via a wireless router to the net. They are both on the same domain and share the same workgroup and have folders shared on each together with printer and scanner.

ecah pc can see the other and I can move and change files on the other wihout any hassle.

I had tried the xp networking wizard before with various results but find the connection via the router the best of the all. The router handles the dchp side of things and it's all worked straight away without any major hassle.

A