cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my pc via ethernet to 1mb broadband! .. how?

N/A

Im pretty much a newbie to broadband and have since heard its faster to connect via my ethernet port in the back of my pc.. at the moment i have a Binatone 500USB modem, and would love to squeeze out every once of speed i can as i love online games!! I have recent;y upgraded to 1mb.

Now im very interested in connecting via the ethernet can anyone give me a simpletons guide to doing so? do i need to purchase any extra equiptment. And are there any other tweaks i can make to get a little extra speed?!

Thanks very much

Nick Smith
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

The most popular connection devices that connect to your computer via ethernet are ADSL routers you can find some good examples here: http://www.adslguide.org/reviews/

Hope this helps.
N/A

I for one, would recomend the Netgear DG834, it's a good all round router for home or small office use, and it costs around £60 from Amazon.

Aaron
N/A

ethernet Internet

I would never advocate a USB ADSL device for broadband. Apart from being a little slower, you are wide open to attack from 'nasty people'. I assume you have a 'Firewall program' and extremely up-to-date software. The ADSL Modem/router has so much more to offer in the form of a 'hardware' firewall. what is known as 'NAT' (Network Address Translation), prevents your machine from being 'seen' on the Public side of the router. There are many websites which can give tutorials on setting up routers. I remember the first time I set up a router, it all seemed very strange. The Draytek Vigor is another very good modem Router, quite pricey tho'. Be patient when setting up, it can take a few moments before the device connects.