cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a 2nd pc

N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

Ok, I'm a complete IT novice here so please be gentle.

I am on a 512 broadband package with Plusnet and now have a laptop as well as my pc.

How can I access the internet through both machines?

What do I need to do?
What equipment will I need to buy?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

Quite simple the way i do it. You will require a network card in both pc and laptop. It will be easier if both machine have windows xp. Then you require an cross over ethernet cable. Untill you have all that you can go to the next step. Do you have them ??. There is a way to do it via a router but i am a novice with routers as of yet.
N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

Once you've got the equipment, XP has a network wizard which should take care of the rest.

Any problems, then reply back.

Aaron
N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

one thing that would help if you are stuck is knowing what kind of adsl modem you have? is it a usb / ethernet / router etc.. Smiley
N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

I have a binatone ADSL 500 USB modem that was supplied with my connection.

My pc runs XP but not sure about the laptop as it belongs to my new lodger who arrives this weekend.

What do I need to do if the laptop is not running XP?

Also can I create a wireless network as I don't particularly care for having cables running through the house.

If so, then how?
N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

You can create a disk from the network wizard within XP, that sets your lodgers laptop up with your network settings.

You can create a wireless network, you'll need a wireless router, Netgear DG834G is pretty good, and 2 wireless cards.

Aaron
N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

one very good site for information about this is http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

I currently use a wireless setup at work, I use 1 netgear adsl modem, 1 netgear wireless firewall router and a wireless network card for each pc. The main plus with this setup is that it works with any operating system without having to install any software etc, just plug in the wireless network cards and go.

One point to note though, if you are going to use wireless networking then I STRONGLY recomend securing your network. With the above setup you can use WEP and MAC address access controlls that should be enough. I couldnt belive it when I first pluged in a wireless card in my pc and was able to pick up and access over 5 networks in my local area without any special arials or software.
N/A

Connecting a 2nd pc

Its not differcult. Its easier if both of the computers have the same os. But lets say ur main pc has xp pro and ur laptop has xp home like i do you can still network them.