cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion: does my line do 1MBit or not?

N/A

I have the 512k service at the moment, but would like to upgrade...

This is where it gets confusing with BT's availability checker:

my phone number gets this:
For Telephone Number 01293xxxxxx on Exchange CRAWLEY 

Good news - Your exchange has broadband ADSL. Although the length of the telephone line between you and the exchange is quite long, you may be able to receive broadband ADSL.

Our initial test on your line suggests that you may be able to have a broadband ADSL service that provides up to 512Kbps download speed, but the upstream bandwidth will vary according to the length of your telephone line. It will not be possible to provide the 1Mbps or 2Mbps broadband ADSL services.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable, and if so for what speed of service.

My postcode gets this:
For Postcode RH10 xxx

Good news! The checker indicates that Broadband is available in your area and that the preliminary check on your postcode suggests that you may be able to receive Broadband services at speeds from 512kilobits per second to 2Megabits per second downstream and 256kilobits per second upstream.

Please note that a test on your telephone line will be performed should you decide to place an order, to make sure that your line is suitable before progressing the order.

Thank you for your interest.

My friend's phone number gets this (he literally lives only 2 streets away):
For Telephone Number 01293xxxxxx on Exchange POUNDHILL 

Good news! Your exchange has broadband ADSL, and our initial test indicates that it should be possible to provide broadband ADSL on this telephone line.

Our initial test on your line suggests that you should be able to have a broadband ADSL service that provides up to 2Mbps download speed.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable, and if so for what speed of service.

Thank you for your interest.

It makes no sense, as the crawley phone exchange is at least twice as far away from me than the pound hill one is. (i'm right in the middle of the pound hill region of crawley)
also my DSL connection has never managed less than the full 28-29k/sec upload speed, suggesting that my line is not excessively long...

Is the checker right, or has something just got mixed up somewhere?
6 REPLIES
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi,

It sounds like you are very borderline here...

There isn't a problem though, just order the re-grade and if you can't have it you won't get billed - Simple as that!

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

The fact that even though your friend is only a couple of doors away you are on different exchanges indicates that you are both on the edge of the exchange area.
It is not the radial distance from the exchange that matters but the actual distance that the cable route takes from you to the exchange and also the type of cable. (some are lossier than others) So even if you seem to be physically nearer to your exchange than your friend is to his, the only conclusive test is the one that BT will perform to find the real line conditions.

As Ian says above. Order the upgrade and see what happens. If it's not available then you will not have to pay for it.
N/A

The best thing I can sugest is that you request a Whoosh test through PlusNet (or rather, the ISP you have DSL with).

Depending on the figures returned from that, you will know more information.
N/A

Do you pay activation ?

I think my line is also borderline but I am considering ordering 1 MB home.

Will I still have to play the activation fee if my line fails or is this non returnable ?

Thanks

Paul.
Home 500 user
N/A

As Ian Wild says above:

There isn't a problem though, just order the re-grade and if you can't have it you won't get billed - Simple as that!

Tim
N/A

Don't count on it...if you're on BT Install and want to revert back because the line test failed then you have to pay £200 + to go BACK to the same account or £64 to go Self-Install.

I'm having to pay to get back my account whilst connecting on the Pay per Minute number while that happens. BUT, I'll pay it because I just want to be back on ADSL as on 56K its like wading through treacle and I'd have to pay if I went elsewhere anyway.

Not a very fair system but then PN already know how I feel about this.

Still, I prefer Plusnet to any other ISP out there...been with them for four years (well, three but 1 year was with F9).

Smiley