Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing wiring in master socket

docrobster
Grafter

I wonder if anyone can help- I have a query regarding my telephone wiring
I decided to get a Faceplate Splitter for my NTE5 master socket after it became apparent the connection would sync higher with a better snr through the test socket. This weekend the faceplate arrived and I set about fitting it- until I came to actually look at the wiring to the old face plate, which is different from what I expected from the instructions in the packet or at www.clarity.it
I have 4 wires coming out from the back part of the master socket, connected to 1,3,4 and 6.
The pair to 3 and 4 are orange/white so I take it these are the (not needed) ring wire. The pair to 1 and 6 are green and white.
From what I read I expected a blue/white pair to 2 and 5, and that these were the only 2 that needed connecting to filter the extension circuit.
I reconnected just the faceplate without any wirng to the extensions,and it works fine, but obviously the extensions aren't filtered so I still need the filter where the phone plugs in.
I wonder if there is a simple explanation to this?
Am I likely to find the blue/white pair if I tug on the wires I've got do you think?
And what are the green/white wires for?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This explains what they are used for - see bottom of page
http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php
My wires aren't the correct colours either - I suspect that whoever installed it used standard 4 core cable and not the one with the proper colours
docrobster
Grafter

So if I take the green/white wires that were on 1 and 6 and put them on 2 and 5:
A) can I cause any problems? and B) does it matter which goes where?
thanks
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Don't worry about colours as you can't be sure "correct" colour wires were used when socket originally installed.

It is only necessary to connect sockets 2 & 5 for ADSL extension. 3 is for the ring wire. It is sometimes necessary to have this connected for a telephone extension to ring but newer phones do not need this. IMPORTANT - 3 is not necessary for ADSL connection. It won’t do any harm if it is connected but others report a better connection if this is NOT connected.

Are you using a new style NTE5 with ADSL socket on the front? If so, use sockets A and B to run an ADSL extension. These are equivalent to 2 and 5 but unfltered.

See ...

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
docrobster
Grafter

yes I have the new modified adsl faceplate, I understand that 2 and 5 carry the call signal as it were, and A and B on the face plate are pure ADSL versions of 2 and 5, but the thing I don't get is what the wires were doing connected to 1 and 6 in the original faceplate?
As it is at the moment, the extension circuit works without wiring anything up to the back of the faceplate, so I can only assume that the extensions are split off from the master somewhere else?
There is a very old looking box that the wires go through before the NTE5- I wonder if this is the junction box and the NTE5 has been added after it instead of replacing it.
I will have a bit more of a look at the wiring and may post back with diagrams!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

It is probable that the BT termination is the old box and someone else added the NTE5 box.
It may be worth getting the old junction box replaced with an NTE5 - but i don't know how much BT charge for that.
It might be worth posting this problem on ADSLGuide in the BT Wholesale section as there are some very expert posters on BT wiring on that forum here