cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing Router information

N/A

Confusing Router information

For self-install packages, on your help pages, it states that the hardware we require for ADSL is either an ADSL modem OR a router.

We have a router Which is DSL compatible: http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=129
It is DSL compatible, but it is not a combined ADSL Modem / Router.

When I follow the hardware link on your self install pages specifically the router link - I find the the item suggested is not just a router, it's a combined ADSL Modem / Router.

Is it possible to use your ADSL service without an ADSL Modem? The help pages say Modem OR router, so before signing up we thought - "great, we've got a router". Do I now have to buy a modem too?

If so - no problem, but could you update your help pages to make it clearer?
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Confusing Router information

> For self-install packages, on your help pages, it states that the hardware we require for ADSL is either an ADSL modem OR a router.
>
> We have a router Which is DSL compatible: http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=129
> It is DSL compatible, but it is not a combined ADSL Modem / Router.
>
> When I follow the hardware link on your self install pages specifically the router link - I find the the item suggested is not just a router, it's a combined ADSL Modem / Router.
>
> Is it possible to use your ADSL service without an ADSL Modem? The help pages say Modem OR router, so before signing up we thought - "great, we've got a router". Do I now have to buy a modem too?
>
> If so - no problem, but could you update your help pages to make it clearer?

Hi

I had a look at the URL that you gave and noted the following...

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
– Cable, DSL, Satellite or Wireless Broadband modem and Internet service

That suggests that you need a modem to go with your router.

Ed.

N/A

Hi

You always need a modem no matter if you have a router or not. If you have more than one PC that you want to access the Internet use the router with a modem if not the modem will be sufficient.
N/A

> > For self-install packages, on your help pages, it states that the hardware we require for ADSL is either an ADSL modem OR a router.
> >
> > We have a router Which is DSL compatible: http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=129
> > It is DSL compatible, but it is not a combined ADSL Modem / Router.
> >
> > When I follow the hardware link on your self install pages specifically the router link - I find the the item suggested is not just a router, it's a combined ADSL Modem / Router.
> >
> > Is it possible to use your ADSL service without an ADSL Modem? The help pages say Modem OR router, so before signing up we thought - "great, we've got a router". Do I now have to buy a modem too?
> >
> > If so - no problem, but could you update your help pages to make it clearer?
>
>
> Hi
>
> I had a look at the URL that you gave and noted the following...
>
> SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
> – Cable, DSL, Satellite or Wireless Broadband modem and Internet service
>
> That suggests that you need a modem to go with your router.
>
> Ed.
>
>

All routers are not created equal...
Some routers have a built in ADSL modem, some have a modem and a switch (like a hub so you can plug in >1 ethernet cable.
But Some routers are really just plain ethernet routers, manufactures lable them as ADSL compliant just like in the old days when manufactures used to lable headphones and speakers as 'CD compatible', but you still need an ADSL modem to plug into it.

The AMX-CA64E is a very popular choice at about 80 quid, it has a built in modem and 4 port switch and can handle 1 connection via USB which is great if you don't have an ethernet card yet.
On the down site it only does NAT which isn't really a proper firewall (although many resellers may call this a firewall) and they can be hard to get hold of/sell out quick.