cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicting Line Stats

Community Veteran

Conflicting Line Stats

For a long time I used a Sitecom router (DC-214V2 UK) which provided me with my rock solid 1Meg connection. I then startet using BitComet and found that this router kept completely freezing. After double checking all the port forwarding options I bought a second had Dlink DSL 504 which worked perfectly for about 6 weeks until a few days ago my connection started repeatly dropping for a few seconds at a time. This is not a big problem but I wanted to check if it was the router that was at fault so I have reconnected the Sitecom. That was when I noticed a very significant difference in the line stats that both routers were reporting as shown below:

Dlink:

Sitecom:

Which line stats are more accurate? I am concerned about the large difference in the SNR as this will play a large part when I eventually get regraded to MAX.

When I recorded the line stats shown above each router was connected to exactly the same cables and withen a few minutes of eachother.
Thanks; Sean.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Conflicting Line Stats

Different manufactures and even different routers from the same manufacturer will report different line stats. My DG834's stats varies between 4 & 6dB line atten and 4dB SNR depending on which firmware version is loaded, and none match the shoosh test results which shows my line was better than the router was saying.

In other words you cannot rely on the figures that the router supplies, they are only a guideline to what the line may be like.

The only accurate way to find out what your line stats are is via a whoosh test which only PN can do and will only do when investigating a line fault.
N/A

Conflicting Line Stats

Don't believe the DSL-504. Mine constantly says 1.5-2.0dB SNR under MaxDSL but the connection is rock solid.

I also have a netgear DG834GT which is off being replaced under warranty which I remember reported nearly 10dB higher when I was on a 2MBit connection. A plusnet whoosh test gave exactly the same SNR under MaxDSL as the netgear was reporting.

In other words - I expect your SItecom modem is reporting much closer to the true value.
Community Veteran

Conflicting Line Stats

In other words - I expect your SItecom modem is reporting much closer to the true value.

I hope you are right about that cos the SNR looks much better for MAX