cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring a router for use with a network hub

N/A

Configuring a router for use with a network hub

I have just bought the router starter pack, but I can't get the Internet connection to work properly with my network of 2 PCs. When I connect the supplied cable to my Netgear hub in port 4 with the Uplink button pushed in, I lose the connection to both the network and the Internet. The LAN light on the router is lit for 10 secs and then black for 10 secs.

When I connect the router directly to my network card everything's fine.

I've tried PlusNet but they won't help me and the instructions are rubbish and contradict each other.

I'm using Win98 first edition.

Please help!

Inge Davidsen
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Configuring a router for use with a network hub

The answer seems quite simple - don't press the Uplink button.

Each PC and the router should simply plug into the hub with a standard CAT5/e cable, NOT a crossover cable. These are used for connecting multiple hubs together, which is where the Uplink sometimes comes into play.

Regards
Craig
N/A

> The answer seems quite simple - don't press the Uplink button.
>
> Each PC and the router should simply plug into the hub with a standard CAT5/e cable, NOT a crossover cable. These are used for connecting multiple hubs together, which is where the Uplink sometimes comes into play.

Is that the cable that came with the router starter kit?
>
> Regards
> Craig

N/A

The cable supplied with the starter kit is a crossover cable. This is not suitable for connecting the ADSL router to a hub, for which you need a standard ethernet patch cable.
N/A

> The cable supplied with the starter kit is a crossover cable. This is not suitable for connecting the ADSL router to a hub, for which you need a standard ethernet patch cable.
>

According to the Alcatel Router - Setup Guide, it should be possible to link the router via the hub's uplink connection. I've tried this, but it doesn't seem to work.

And now I can't access my network either!

Inge

N/A

If you got a crossover cat5 cable with your router, you should be able to plug it straight into your hub (without pushing the uplink button)

The uplink is only required if you are using a straight through crossover cable to connect to a router / hub etc.

N/A

> If you got a crossover cat5 cable with your router, you should be able to plug it straight into your hub (without pushing the uplink button)
>
> The uplink is only required if you are using a straight through crossover cable to connect to a router / hub etc.
>

I have now tried:

the supplied cable connected directly from the router to the network card -> works, but then I have no network, so no good.

the supplied cable connected from the router to the hub with and without the uplink button pressed -> no light on the hub.

my network cables from the router to the hub with and without the uplink button pressed -> no light on the hub.

my network cables from the router to the network card -> doesn't work.

When I connect from the router to the hub, the router's LAN light is on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds and so on.

Any suggestions?

Inge

N/A

>
> When I connect from the router to the hub, the router's LAN light is on for 10 seconds then off for 10 seconds and so on.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Inge
>
1.. do you have any other ports to plug the standard cable into (ie not the supplied crossover cable)?

2.. does your hub support 10Mbps speed? If there's a switch to set this to 10Mbps, then set it.

You may want to set your network cards to 10mbps as well.