cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config out of whack?

N/A

Config out of whack?

Having had months of happy surfing with my iMac, Airport Extreme and Powerbook, I’m now having problems getting on line. Difficulties arose when I upgraded the firmware on my router.

My set up is as follows:

I have a Solwise SAR 110 router connected through a hub to my iMac and Airport Extreme (which I use along with my Powerbook). I have just updated the router firmware from 1.38 to 2.1.

Before the update I was able to get online with both my iMac and Powerbook at the same time. I am now able to get online with either my iMac or Airport connection, but not both together.

My guess is that the firmware upgrade knocked my router configuration out of whack. If anyone has any ideas or useful suggestions, I would be eternally grateful.

Ashley
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Config out of whack?

Firmware upgrades can effect current setting for any router. You must also follow the manufactures instructions for firmware upgrades as well.

So I recommend you reset your router to it's factory default settings and reconfigure it to your requirements again. It does look like it's a config issue causing this so start from a known (default) setting.
N/A

How do I configure "sharing?

Thanks.

As I say, the router is working. The problem is that I can't use it to "share" my internet connection between my iMac and Airport Extreme. Before the firmware upgrade this was possible.

I have looked at the manufacturer's (Solwise's) handbook, but just can't figure out what I'm looking for. Nor do I know the previous configuration (which worked). How do I configure the router for "sharing"?
N/A

Config out of whack?

The router should be almost by default setup for sharing.

The fact that this is a one-or-the-other problem, could give one suggestion as a DHCP issue.

Check the routers DHCP configuration, and make sure it is able to give out more than 1 IP address (that the start and end IPs are sufficiently apart).

Have you attempted to plug your iMac into the Lan port of the Airport?
Community Veteran

Config out of whack?

No idea but in theory you don't need to do anything as it is designed to be 'shared'. But if you don't have your old config details I'm not sure what if any you need to change.

Have you actually forced it back to it's factory default settings and tried again?
N/A

Tried default reset, but no joy - how do I find DHCP configu

Peter, I've tried a reset and followed PlusNet's configuration guide to get on line. The sharing issue persists however.

ACarr, I'm keen to pursue your DHCP configuration idea. But how do I carry out the check - and what do I need to do to get DHCP working?

Please forgive my ignorance.

Ashley
Community Veteran

Config out of whack?

Where do your 2 PCs get their IP address from? Have you manually set them up or do you allow the router to assign then automatically. If the latter this is done using DHCP on the router.

The DHCP on the router can be configured to specify a pool or range of IP addresses that it can allocate to any PC that requests an IP. Colin is suggesting maybe there is a config issue with the setup of the DHCP server on the router so you need to check this to make sure the pool of IP addresses is at least 2.

ALso have you checked the IP addresses of your 2 PCs to make sure they are different. They must be different to enable both to share the router and internet connection.
N/A

Problem solved

My problem is solved, thanks to help from this forum and Bob in PlusNet's customer support team (special thanks, Bob).

As suspected, I needed to assign different addresses to my iMac and Airport basestation. I did this and bingo - sharing sorted. (Nb. I can't think how I managed to get things going before upgrading the router firmware, since I changed nothing on my iMac and Airport settings during the upgrade, but that's now water under the bridge.)

Only issue now is those blasted dropouts, which persist and which are why I upgraded the firmware in the first place. I see some advise stealthing the router. I'll give it a go in the hope that it works...