cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conexant USB ADSL Modem & Suse 9.1 Pro

N/A

Hey,

XP has finally thrown it's last tantrum, and is getting it's books. What drivers/dialup apps do I need to use my Conexant USB ADSL Modem with Suse 9.1 Pro? What should I download and save on disk before the big format?

Anyone who with Linux experience, I would greatly appreciate any support, cos I'm just about to jump in the deep end and take my chances rather than deal with XP's nonsense anymore!!

Thanks,

AJ
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know whether your Conexant modem will work with Linux. Have you had a look at the Linux forum on ADSLGuide? You might find someone there that's already done it.
From experience most Linux/BSD users have routers as setting up a network card is generally a lot easier than finding drivers for a USB device.
Community Veteran

Bin what you have got and buy an external modem/router. You will never have compatibility problems or driver issues again. All you need is a Network card and your done as most metwork cards are supported out of the box with Linux or come with the necessary Linux drivers. For £25 you can get an ebuyer origo ASR8000 which will work fine, or spend a bit more for a netgear DG834 which is a 4 port adsl modem/router with firewall.

Linux has limited USB and PCI card driver support so keeping things separate is the best way to go.
N/A

Thanks..

Thanks guys,

That sounds the business.. . Any recommendations? Easy of installation is my main concern, cos getting stuck into a new OS, I'll be wanting back online asap.. Cheesy

What do you have/use?

Thanks again,

AJ
Community Veteran

I've already quoted 2 good routers, the orig ASR8000 is a single port router (the origo ASR8400 is the 4 port version) or the Netgeat DG834 4 port device. Both are easy to setup and recommended by many here.
N/A

Thanks again..

I'm going with the Netgear.. just cos it's cooler looking lol

Thanks,

AJ
N/A

also moving to suse 9.1 pro ...

Likewise my friend - down with xp.

Got SUSE 9.1 pro last week and been burning the midnight oil for a while...

1) suse/yast/parted screwed by mbr so xp wont load ( wanted to keep for a while) followed all suggested fixes to no avail - oustanding call to suse support !! Will have to partition disks xp/partition magic/manually on other pc's yuck.

2) I have belkin54g adsl wireless router ( was bout 60 quid from scan.co.uk which i pass on way home anyway ), use dhcp, 128bit wep encryption and mac address security. At first I connected by 10/100 cable and then got wirless working, I am by know means an expert and took me about 1 day in all - took my mind off football on Friday when I was at home with flu. I had to edit the eth1 config file to add wirless params etc - 10/100 worked straight away with eth0
PS I only changed to router 3 weeks ago but its much better.

3) email,browsing,amsn all worked straight away with kde once network set up .

4) Had to download nvidia driver to get 3d screen res but no problem there.

5) Can't get dvd player to install yet ...

First impressions - I am very impressed with SUSE 9.1 not seen linux since suse 6 which was lacking ... still reserving judgement versus xp while I learn ..

PS. I have toshiba sat pro m10 latop which is centrino so wirless lan very handy
I haven't touched other 2 xp machines yet still playing with tosh ...