cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conexant AccessRunner ADSL

mooneyfamily
Grafter

I have an internal ADSL modem with Windows Xp.
Every so often I hear a ping. Further inspection shows that the Conexant AccessRunner ADSL icon in the sytem tray has a x over it. I am then unable to connect to the internet or am disconnected from the internet. Double click on the icon and I am given the option to STOP ADSL ie it it is not stopped! Stopping ADSL and then Starting ADSL sometimes solves the problem. However after a while, can be minutes, there is a ping and it is all back working again.
Anyone able to help me please?
Thanks,
Peter
:?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

When the "X" is over the connection icon, you have no connectin to the actual ADSL service. However, you still see the "Stop ADSL" button because the Connexxant software is trying to reconnect you... press stop, and the software will stop trying. If you are disconnected, I find it helps to press "Stop", wait 10 seconds, then press "Start".

Thomas
mooneyfamily
Grafter

Thanks Kuglin,
As an example:
I start the computer up.
I start Outlook.
I click on send/receive and the dial up dialogue box appears.
I click on dial and there is immediately an error msg.
I then find there is a cross over the ADSL acccessRunner icon.
The problem seems to be before even trying to make a connection.
As a result I believe the problem is before the phone line begins.
The moment the X goes I am able to connect.
Peter
Community Veteran

So are you saying that when you start up the computer up, the "X" over the taskbar icon never goes away, unless you manually stop it from trying to connect, then start it again? If not, then you should realise that it is the nature of ADSL that you have to wait a few seconds after starting up the computer before you can dial up to PlusNet, unless you were to buy yourself a router.

Thomas
mooneyfamily
Grafter

Sorry,
No I am not saying that.
Sometimes there is a X but very rarely.
The problem normally occurs after ADSL has been established. It can occur whilst in use or when I am doing something else on the computer
Thanks,
Peter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... if you find you're being disconnected frequently from the ADSL service (ie. getting the cross), it can help to shut your computer down and leave it off. Incidentally, I sometimes experience somethign similar: ADSL disconnects and reconnects constantly for a whole day (I can tell you that by the end of the day I'm really sick of that "ping"!). The odd thing is, that if I boot into another Win 98 (I normally use Win XP) the problem goes away...

If you have a dual-boot computer, try using ADSL in another OS on your computer, and see if the problem persists.

Thomas
N/A

Yes, I get regular line drops - anything from 15 minutes to 3 hours. I have never found a cure despite trawling endless DSL forums for an answer. I think maybe the Connexant pci modems are not the best with XP. Things to try that may work for you;

Move card to another pci slot
Check all cards have their own IRQ
Reduce PCI latency timer on graphics and sound card
Try connecting it to master socket only, no phones
Replace microfilters
Try a USB modem instead
Try different connexant drivers
Disable Virus checking software
Disable DMA on IDE devices
BT line check
Reseat card in exchange
Check line attenuation is below 60db (alt-p)
Try G.Lite and Ansi settings
..plus loads of other stuff on the adslguide.org.uk forums

I have heard that all of the above can cause disconnections, it works for some folks, but no me so far :-(
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Theres 2 icons for the modem in the sys tray.

One is the Synch Icon - has that red cross if you loose synch
Second is the Dialed in Connection - only shows if connected

So sounds like your modem is failing synch on boot up, but the fixes to try have already been posted by jheathcote. But one thing to add, the drivers can make a difference in XP and the Older drivers are usually the best.

Get all the currently avaliable drivers from http://www.themad-house.co.uk/conexant/conexant-drivers.html
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Try setting the modem to ANSI T1. I have found that this is the only setting which never drops a signal.

Dave
N/A

Been here before

It sounds to me that Outlook is configured to use a dialup connection but it should connect via a LAN.

I used to have the same modem & whenever I also used my PSTN modem, the ADSL connection dropped. When the PSTN modem drops the connection, the ADSL connection (eventually) re-established.

Change the connection type for your email account to "Connect using my local area network (LAN)" on the Connection tab of Outlook's Accounts dialogue.