cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely crippled connection in evenings

N/A

What is going on with my connection?

I'm on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 (up to 8mb) and things have been reasonably stable for a while. However, for the past few evenings I've experienced completely unusable speeds for all traffic - max 18k/s. Things have been okay in the mornings - up to 200k/s or so, but here are my (now typical for evenings) results from the bt speedtester:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 256 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4736 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 61 kbps

My router gives me the following status:

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 256 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 4736 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 7 dB 8 dB
Attenuation 63 dB 48 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 35088 449801
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 27 287
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 1292 0

Can anyone help?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Something is really badly wrong with your line.
The upstream stats are awful.
How long since your last resynch - this will give an idea as to the error rate
Have you tried connecting to the master socket (the one behind the removable lower section)_
N/A

Regarding the master socket - The previous owners of my home must have done a spot of DIY on the phone line - cutting the cable before it goes inside the house and re-routing it into an upstairs soom where they installed a new socket.

Have a look at this:

The black wire goes in and the white wire then goes back outside, snakes round the house and re-enters the house where the original master socket presumably was.

The router's plugged in downstairs, so not in the master socket. As a result I've always been concerned that my line quality may be compromised. However, I've had broadband for a couple of years and get download speeds of 400k/s from the right sources so I've been very much of the "if it ain't broke don't risk doing a Rod Hull" school of thought.

I'd certainly appreciate an expert opinion of whether it's worth putting my wiring right - either by doing it myself or paying a professional. But I don't see how this issue would account for my good speeds in the morning and guff speeds in the evening situation.

Thanks for your help
N/A

hmm having trouble getting that picture to display - substitute the censored bit with my username to see it...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I am no expert - but that looks fairly bad.
One possible reason for poor speeds in the evening is that is when the noise margin gets worse.
One thing you could try is to post in this forum where there are a lot a experts on wiring problems http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=btsupplier
N/A

Thanks, I've now posted a description of my quirky wiring in the adslguide forum.

I've also just checked my usage and it appears I've gone over 20gb at peak time - which explains everything.

I used to get emails if I was approaching my limit. When and why did that stop? It would have been nice to know I was about to be crippled.

Not happy
jnwright
Grafter

I knew someone somewhere had had a problem before trying to get an illicit master socket sorted. Since the socket in your bedroom looks to have been put across the BT line on the way to the master socket it is likely that it be in contravention of the BT rules. Even BT wouldn't have wired it in that way! It isn't a master socket in your picture (no spark suppressor, capacitor or resistor), so probably your master socket is still at the downstairs end. Your picture shows an extension socket wired across the line! It would probably be worthwhile getting BT to sort it and disconnect this socket, mentioning that it was done before you moved in,of course! They will do the job using a new piece of wire avoiding joints if at all possible. Even if there is a charge, you will then be able to get them to sort out any problem with the line without embarrassment since everything will then be legal.

The last time I saw this there was a pointer to some BT prices. I think it was at the bottom of the page at http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Exch_Lines_boo/2-0002_d0e63.htm

Any extensions have to be wired from the front, detachable part of the master socket. I you need the line to the bedroom, either get them to do it, or you are allowed to do that part yourself. If you don't need ADSL upstairs you could have a filtered faceplate fitted at the master socket such as that at http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php or ask the BT man nicely after copious cups of tea/coffee and biscuits! Even if you don't immediately want to get the faceplate, make sure you have the modern NTE5 master socket with the detachable lower half faceplate. Put NTE5 into google and click images - lots of pictures! They should be able to change that at the same time if you haven't, but most houses built since around the early '80s have.

At least, then you'll have the best chance of a reasonable ADSL signal and perhaps even a little more speed, normally!
N/A

Thanks for your advice. It seems that I don't have a master socket. I'm getting some really useful advice here.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

As you correctly state you have gone over the usage allowance on your account so you will have restrictions in place.

We have been sending the usage emails to your postmaster@ email address, you appear to have opted out of notifications to your other email address.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team