cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competition to See who can Solve this first !

N/A

Competition to See who can Solve this first !

I cannot ping any servers on the web when I am connected. I can browse all the servers until Iam blue in the face and I can access all pages. But if I ping any of them, even the plusnet servers and DNS servers, I get nowt ! I just get request timed out, any ideas, plusnet have been trying to do something for a couple of weeks now, but it looks like there are no technical people out there !

Cmon guys give me some advice !

Please !

Cheers

JASON
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Competition to See who can Solve this first !

> I cannot ping any servers on the web when I am
> connected. I can browse all the servers until
> I am blue in the face and I can access all pages.

I have to ask.... why do you want to ping systems that you're able to connect to? Smiley

How are you connecting - modem or router? What OS are you using? Are you running any firewall/packet filtering software on the PC?

> But if I ping any of them, even the plusnet
> servers and DNS servers, I get nowt !

If you can browse web sites your system must be resolving domain names, which means that it's finding the DNS. Hmmm, curious.....

N/A

> I cannot ping any servers on the web when I am connected. I can browse all the servers until Iam blue in the face and I can access all pages. But if I ping any of them, even the plusnet servers and DNS servers, I get nowt ! I just get request timed out, any ideas, plusnet have been trying to do something for a couple of weeks now, but it looks like there are no technical people out there !
>
> Cmon guys give me some advice !
>
> Please !
>
> Cheers
>
> JASON

- Some of my suggestions assume you run Windows:
- My modem can be configured to block outbound pings. As a first step I suggest you check your modem config.
- If you are running a software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, that could also be configured to block outbound pings. Same goes for any hardware firewall you might have.
- A BT router could be blocking your outbound pings; they seem to block incoming ones to all xDSL modems. From a DOS window try:
C:\WINDOWS>tracert www.plus.net
- If the trace does not reach portal.plus.net then the hop where it times out is your problem.
- If the trace does not progress more than one hop then it is probably your home configuration that is at fault.
- Another much less likely problem (given that you can surf OK) might be a MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) misconfiguration with your modem. From a DOS window try:
>C:\WINDOWS>ping -f -n 1 -l 1 www.google.com
- If this ping works then increase the number after the -l until it stops working. If your modem is configured correctly any number less than 1473 should work.

Short note about the importance of ping:
- ping uses part of the ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol). As the name suggests Net Admins should not turn this off as it disables automated control messages between servers/routers on the Internet. Turning it off makes the Internet work less efficiently and screws up important automated negotiations such as Path MTU Discovery. Symptom of this not working include hanging email downloads,if there is a big attachement, and difficulty browsing sites with large images.
- Unfortunately too many ISPs and Net Admins worry about things like ping flood attacks when they should be learning how to rate limit ICMP traffic instead.
- If your interested in ICMP see:
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/icmp.htm

Hope some of the above helps.

Fredrik.

benoh
Grafter

> I cannot ping any servers on the web when I am connected. I can browse all the servers until Iam blue in the face and I can access all pages. But if I ping any of them, even the plusnet servers and DNS servers, I get nowt ! I just get request timed out, any ideas, plusnet have been trying to do something for a couple of weeks now, but it looks like there are no technical people out there !
>
> Cmon guys give me some advice !
>
> Please !
>
> Cheers
>
> JASON

Jason,
Your blocking either

ICMP echo requests
or
ICMP Echo Replies

on either the outbound or inbound path...check your firewall if you've got one and check your router/modem settings as it maybe this thats blocking them...its actually good security practice to drop them Smiley

Ben O'Hara
Systems Engineer
PlusNet Technologies Ltd.
N/A

> > I cannot ping any servers on the web when I am connected. I can browse all the servers until Iam blue in the face and I can access all pages. But if I ping any of them, even the plusnet servers and DNS servers, I get nowt ! I just get request timed out, any ideas, plusnet have been trying to do something for a couple of weeks now, but it looks like there are no technical people out there !
> >
> > Cmon guys give me some advice !
> >
> > Please !
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > JASON
>
> Jason,
> Your blocking either
>
> ICMP echo requests
> or
> ICMP Echo Replies
>
> on either the outbound or inbound path...check your firewall if you've got one and check your router/modem settings as it maybe this thats blocking them...its actually good security practice to drop them Smiley
>
> Ben O'Hara
> Systems Engineer
> PlusNet Technologies Ltd.
>

Thanks for your help guys, this gives me something to go on now !

Regards

JASON