cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined PSTN/ADSL installation

N/A

Will Plusnet do this? And if so.. what's the procedure? I can't find anything about a combined installation on the website Shocked Also is it possible to have the number of my current BT line ported to the new line?

Many thanks
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I don't understand what you are trying to do. Could you explain in more detail what you want and we may be able to answer your query.

An ADSL connection works on your existing PSTN line and you can still make normal phone calls when the ADSL connection is active?
painswck
Grafter

Some ISPs do this, not sure about PlusNet. If Ian is not along shortly it may be worth either raising a ticket or giving them a ring.

Roland
N/A

Hiya

Sorry, what I meant was I already have one phone line (I've had it for about 15 years now) but basically this phoneline has had so many attempted adsl orders it has been blacklisted (and it is fairly long - it went from amber to red)

What I have read (and as such am interested in doing now) is to get PlusNet, through BT Wholesale, to install me a 2nd PSTN line on the grounds that it will soleley be used for ADSL, so that hopefully the engineer installing the line will somehow use a shorter pair from the cab to the exchange, or do whatever, hopefully making it capable of ADSL. I know you can do this with BT Broadband (but I don't want to use them). With the line intended for ADSL use only, should the line fail the adsl check you can either go ahead with the PSTn install or pull out completely because section 1 of BT's price list onexchange lines intended for ADSL stipulate this (no 12 month PSTN contract or installation fee or anything)

A little bit cheeky also is I want to cease the old line (as this is basically useless for ADSL) and port that number to the new line. I have read that this can cause problems but if so then I guess I can live with a different number...

Thanks

**EDIT** Sorry, cross posted with hinkley - thanks for this info.
N/A

The complexity of what you wish to do will make it impossible, and even if your new line does work, will simply be blacklisted too.

First off, PlusNet took part in the PSTN+ADSL trial and from memory took two orders (one failed or had problems, see ADSL Guide). They are now also able to take part in the full blown system.

ADSL orders originate by Phone number and not account number. As such, to take on the number of your old line will make the new one blacklisted.

To take on a order and have a sucessful installation is fine, however, to change phone numbers will be classed as a major account change, as such, BT will submit a cease order on your line. Again, leaving you blacklisted.

The only way to go (and you say you are willing) is to keep a new number with the new line.

I only asked the question regarding proceedure on this last week myself, as I also need to go through this within the next 4 weeks, so if you wish to wait, it should be a fun ride.

Otherwise, PlusNet told me the following in my ticket. I had mentioned Ian in my own ticket (Tip, if you mention his name in a ticket, they get a free coffee and wake up).

Dear Customer,
At the moment there is no set procedure for this, when Ian and the rest of the provisioning team come back in we can look into this. However if you need to do this ASAP you are able to create a business free account and then create a ticket from that account which we then can put through to the provisioning team who can manually create this order.
Regards,

In essance, they will take all the details off you in a ticket and fill in the blanks when needed. I guess they will take enough to get the order through, and contact you via phone, or ask you to phone them for payment details.

My guess is they will accept this via a consumer account too.
N/A

Excellent Philip, thanks a lot Cheesy
N/A

I don't know if you have attempted to proceed with this installation method, but you may want to go it alone.

I have performed my first site survey today, though I didn't get nitty and gritty with the phone system there.

After talks, it seems they ahve attempted to ask BT for an extra line for there phone system in the past, to dedicate it to outgoign faxes and internet (non BB). BT have rejected there order, along with orders from 3 other properties on the same stretch.

All of the line need to be a true pairs, without any DACS, so there is little chance of freeing up an existing pair.

They do currently have two lines I can attempt to place orders on, so I am gonna stick with them for now.
N/A

Well, I have just raised a ticket requesting this... fingers crossed :roll:
N/A

seeing as though PlusNet wont even bother to even try this forn me, I'm going to look for another provider who will...
N/A

What was there responce?

According to all the information I have, and what Ian has said, they will do this
N/A

They're basically saying because my current line wont support it, neither will the new one - which is quite possible - but why not at least try it? I'm sure they wouldnt mind another punter payin up £30 a month
N/A

I would submit your ticket number and a description of your problem and reply from support to Ian Wild.

The whole idea of the PSTN/ADSL cobined provision is precicly for curcumstances like yours.

BT's own press release even noted that this method is one way to help businesses and residents in the supply of ADSL, where there present technology is incompatable, they don't have a line or there present line isn't suitable for ADSL.

I am sure Ian would kick the ass of the person sprouting that noise.

They are correct in saying that it may well be possible that a new line will not fix things. But rejecting a order on that is bad PR.

Hell, even a failed order is good PR (the attempt was made).
N/A

Hell, even a failed order is good PR (the attempt was made).

Exactly. Although thinking about it I think the persons who answered the ticket may have been somewhat unaware of how to deal with this. I was a little suprised to say the least that the fella on the other end of the ticket was having none of it :shock:

Ian wilde you say? :lol: