cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification please ...

MysteryFCM
Grafter

Clarification please ...

I'm looking for clarification on the following points concerning FUP and Usenet/P2P.

1. Does the 15GB cap apply to NNTP *AND* P2P, or is there a 15GB cap *per protocol* (i.e. combining the cap on both protocols would come to 30GB).

2. How do I tell if I have been capped? (I've raised tickets previously concerning issues with NNTP, and was going to raise another the other day, until I noticed the ANN ref NNTP)

3. How do I tell if I am coming close to being capped? (the VMU is no good as this is general for all traffic, not per protocol traffic)

4. Can I get a breakdown of traffic on the afformentioned protocols?

5. Does this cap also apply to HTTP/FTP traffic

6. If 5 = no then, at what time will my HTTP/FTP traffic be capped? (bearing in mind, I originally signed up for BB Premier with no caps)

7. I currently run an HTTP, FTP and mail server on my home PC. In the case of the following, does the cap apply to traffic;

a. TO the server(s) (traffic from external sources INTO my servers)
b. FROM the server(s) (traffic from internal sources to external servers/clients)
c. TO *AND* FROM the server(s) (combines both of the above)

8. With specific regard to FTP, does my uploading files to external servers, count toward the usage, or is this disregarded?.

I must make my intentions clear here so as not to offend or upset anyone. I originally signed up with PN due to a recommendation from a friend. Up till now I have been relatively happy with the service I have received (with one or two exceptions) and am not planning on moving to a new ISP (haven't found any that come anywhere near as good as PN).

My reasons for asking with regards to #7 is so I can let visitors to my site know in advance of any possible issues, and decide whether I need to look for an external host for my servers (which I would rather avoid as require complete control over the servers and cannot afford dedicated servers from third parties).

For reference, my account type is Broadband Premier 2MB

This post is not an attempt to cause a ruckas, so I must extend advance apologies if it comes accross as such.
7 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Clarification please ...

Hi

The 15Gb cap is only on NNTP. After the 15Gb it is put in the brnze queue. There is no cap on p2p, it is just constantly in the bronze queue.

The 15Gb cap doesn't doesn;t apply to http and ftp. There is a SUP with has a level of 30Gb peak and 100Gb off peak. If you go over these you'll receive an email, and possibly speed limited either in peak time or 24/7. There is an faq somewhere in the help section on this.

Traffic under the SUP is counted both as uploads and downloads, and it doesn't matter if you have requested / sent it or weather it is someone on one of your servers.

Hope this helps.

Phil
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Clarification please ...

Information on the SUP can be found here

Phil
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Clarification please ...

Cheers for the info .... so my servers are affected by this then?
N/A

Clarification please ...

As long as your within SUP, your servers wont be affected. If you run over the SUP profile more than Two times, and you get a management profile, then its very possible that they would be affected.

I think it'll only be if your put on 24/7 Management that you'll start to have problems
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Clarification please ...

Cheers for the response.

I only have one question regarding this that I am hoping (and expecting) the PN staff to answer (seeing as they've not responded to any of the others yet). Whilst I can understand, and accept, traffic leaving my PC counting toward the SUP, why does traffic coming into my PC count toward it? (because of the low limit, this is going to mean my server being unavailable quite frequently. I can't afford to upgrade packages atm, otherwise I'd have done so)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Clarification please ...

All traffic both upload and download has to travel across our central pipes. These have a finite limit of how much they can carry - each pipe has a maximum capacity of 622Mbps down and 311Mbps up.

As such it is the overall level and volume of traffic that needs to be managed, not just downloads, but uploads too. There's only a finite amount to go around and it's a shared network so we have to include the upload traffic within the SUP.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Clarification please ...

Cheers Dave Smiley (does PN actually have anyone else working for them, besides you? :lolSmiley

Any chance this could be made clear in the SUP please?