cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco VPN client connection problems !

N/A

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. I have just recently switched over my ADSL account from NTL to Plusnet and am now using the Plusnet supplied Binatone USB 500 modem to connect to the Internet.

With NTL my Cisco VPN client would connect to my works network with no problems at all, now (using Plusnet) the VPN connection seems to connect OK but now I can't connect let alone ping any IP address on my works network.

I suspect that Plusnet may have blocked some of my required ports for Virus reasons.

Ports required for VPN are:
UDP Port 500 (ISAKMP)
UDP4500 (Non500 -ISAKMP)
IP50 (ESP)
IP51 (AH)

Anyone know if these are indeed blocked?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

As far as I know the only blocked ports are 135 and that's only when you try to establish an outgoing connection on it. I would check your firewall config if you are using one to make sure no blocking is being done from there. You may need to add your works network addresses to it in the trusted domain or something.

Have you checked the Binatone setup to make sure it is not blocking ports - not sure if it is even able to but worth checking.

What windows version are you using. If XP. check the setting for the inbuilt firewall. If enabled, turn it off and see what happens.
N/A

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Unfortunately I had already switched my firewall off (zone alarm) and my Laptop (Windows XP) software also doesn't have the inbuilt firewall software enabled.

The USB Binatone modem doesn't have any ability to restrict port access as far as I can see.

Interestingly, if I dial the Internet from an independant (56k) dial up modem account, the VPN client works as advertised.
Community Veteran

Could be a conflict with the Binatone drivers and your VPN software. What VPN software are you using (you say Cisco VPN but does it have a name and/or version) in case someone else has the same modem and software working.

Only other option I can think of is contact your companies network admin and see if thay have any solutions. Maybe they have an alternate VPN client you can try or an update for what you have.
N/A

Will see if there is any other type of VPN client I could use from our network admin guys, thanks.

The Cisco VPN Client version I am trying to use is V.3.6.4.A-K9. Anybody out there successfully got this working with the Binatone USB 500 Modem (my modem is the latest modem version with the three led's on the front).
Community Veteran

Hi,

The Cisco VPN client should work fine. My company use it to allow about 20 remote users using ADSL and dialup via PlusNet. We use default settings.

Does the actual VPN software connect or fail, if so at what point?

If it does connect are you issued an IP address by your DHCP server at work? use ipconfig from a DOS window to double check this.

Are you trying tp ping IP addresses or computer names?

Chris
GavinWoods
Dabbler

This should be interesting. I am just in the process of migrating from BTO to Plusnet and i too use the Cisco VPN software to connect to my office. The results will probably be too late for you though but i would be interested to know the cause of this in case i get it too!