Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing which connection type?

oliverb
Grafter

Choosing which connection type?

I've been thinking about this.

The USB adapters seem to generate a steady string of complaints, they seem to exist purely as a way of helping ISPs offer an unsharable connection.

PCI-maybe...

Is the router package practical for a single PC. I figure I can find an ethernet card somewhere. Crossover cable? Never seen one...
8 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

RE: Choosing which connection type?

I have a router setup and I see no problem with using one for a single PC. It should provide you with a degree of protection against intrusion from the internet and it will also give you room for expansion. You shouldn't need a crossover ethernet cable either.
oliverb
Grafter

> I have a router setup and I see no problem with using one for a single PC. It should provide you with a degree of protection against intrusion from the internet and it will also give you room for expansion. You shouldn't need a crossover ethernet cable either.
>

That's rather what I wanted to hear. Only thing is the description of the router plusnet supply says either a hub or a crosover cable is needed. I gather some have automatic or switched uplink mode.

Also I intend to connect a small LAN via a router where I work also and I'm wondering if there's anything I ought to know first...
Saturn
Grafter

Not sure about the PlusNet supplied router (which one are you referring to?). I bought a Netgear DG814 Router which has 4 ethernet ports. I can connect my PCs direct to these ports or, as is my current configuration, I can connect one of the ports to my 16-port hub and from the hub to each PC and Print Server etc. All of these connections have been achieved without crossover cables. I'm not even using the 'Uplink' capability of my hub.
N/A

No crossover cable required with the DG814 adsl router as the 4 ethernet ports all have automatic uplink switching - but this feature (or the addition of a crossover cable on non-auto switching hub/switvh/router ethernet ports) would only required when connecting the DG814 to another hub or switch.

I use an DG814 and it is most excellent - for a single PC or a network of 'em.

> Not sure about the PlusNet supplied router (which one are you referring to?). I bought a Netgear DG814 Router which has 4 ethernet ports. I can connect my PCs direct to these ports or, as is my current configuration, I can connect one of the ports to my 16-port hub and from the hub to each PC and Print Server etc. All of these connections have been achieved without crossover cables. I'm not even using the 'Uplink' capability of my hub.

N/A

I've gone the same way, but with a DLink DSL 504 modem/router and a 3Com 905B NIC acquired second hand from a computer fair. Easy to setup (took me less than 10 minutes), the router handles all the IP addresses via DHCP (plus it provides a hardware firewall) and everything bar splitters is provided in the box (I'm on a 'wires only' deal BTW).

GM
oliverb
Grafter

I don't know what make of router they ship but I figured on having plusnet supply the equipment instead of buying it seperately. That way I know who to shout at...

According to the instructions they supply their "box" has one ethernet port and will plug into a hub or switch to connect multiple PCs.

I'm just confused as all the router products I've seen have inbuilt hubs or switches and multiple LAN ports.

> Not sure about the PlusNet supplied router (which one are you referring to?). I bought a Netgear DG814 Router which has 4 ethernet ports. I can connect my PCs direct to these ports or, as is my current configuration, I can connect one of the ports to my 16-port hub and from the hub to each PC and Print Server etc. All of these connections have been achieved without crossover cables. I'm not even using the 'Uplink' capability of my hub.

N/A

> I don't know what make of router they ship but I figured on having plusnet supply the equipment instead of buying it seperately. That way I know who to shout at...
>
> According to the instructions they supply their "box" has one ethernet port and will plug into a hub or switch to connect multiple PCs.
>
> I'm just confused as all the router products I've seen have inbuilt hubs or switches and multiple LAN ports.
>
> > Not sure about the PlusNet supplied router (which one are you referring to?). I bought a Netgear DG814 Router which has 4 ethernet ports. I can connect my PCs direct to these ports or, as is my current configuration, I can connect one of the ports to my 16-port hub and from the hub to each PC and Print Server etc. All of these connections have been achieved without crossover cables. I'm not even using the 'Uplink' capability of my hub.
>
>

Plusnet are currently shipping Solwise 110 routers with a single ethernet connection. If you are connecting a single PC you use the straight through cable supplied.

If you want to connect to a hub/switch you will have to purchase or make a crossover cable.

I went for the router option as it includes basic firewalling capabilities and my experience of USB devices is poor to say the least.

Cheers

Darren
oliverb
Grafter

The hub's got an uplink switch on it, I guess that takes care of the crossover issue at work. Those Netgear hubs are something else, looks like an elephant could stand on it and not dent it...you just don't seem to see hardware like that these days.

I figure I can find a card from somewhere to use at home. Do I really need to plug the router into the master socket, I thought I could plug it into an extension.

> If you want to connect to a hub/switch you will have to purchase or make a crossover cable.
>
> I went for the router option as it includes basic firewalling capabilities and my experience of USB devices is poor to say the least.
>
> Cheers
>
> Darren
>