cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Your Line - 5 Days?

N/A

It seems a little weird to me that the status of my order would sit on checking your line for 5 days.

When I lived in the states I used to sell DSL for SBC, and I had learned that this step was basically checking some information about the line itself. IE, what is the loop length of the copper wire, Is the line serviced by a Subscriber Loop Carrier, etc. Generally the local carrier (in the UK this would be BT) has all that information on file, so its usually very quick to check.

Anyway Since I had all the equipment here I figured I would go ahead and plug it all in, and configure it as best I could. The idea would be that I could just glance at the status lights on the modem and know when the connection was working. I was sorta surprised to find out that their was already DSL signal on the wire. The modem Syncs up but never authenticates with the PPP service. I think that this is because there was previously DSL service on the telephone number, which is also weird to me since the current number is not the number of the previous tenant.

I would really like to know what is going on. Clearly the line doesn't need to be checked for 5 days since it is currently supporting DSL. But if its a 'new' number why does it already have a DSL signal on it?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you raise a ticket and asked, or phoned the support number and asked?

If the line does/did have ADSL on it then that will delay any activation as the ADSL tag has to be removed by the original ISP supplying the service before PN can raise an order for ADSL.

Or it could be that the order has completed but PN have not yet been told so have not activated your account yet. A phone call or ticket will resolve this situation very quickly.
Loon
Grafter

Welcome to England. 5 days is good :lol: , took Virgin best part of 2 months to hook me up, and then it was pants! Cry Cry Cry

Rob Wink
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

Not sure what has happened but it appears there was an error when the order was first submitted. I've placed this again and put a ticket on your account with myself to track the progress of this. Sorry about that, but I'll make sure it goes through for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Chris, Thanks for checking that out for me. I really wasn't even sure if something was wrong or what so I didn't really even think to call. Here is an idea you may like to pass along; I'm sure it would be possible to set up some kind of report that accesses PN's database and look for accounts who's status has been in one state for too long. For example, if the state was 'Checking your line' for more than 24 hours or whatever was considered a normal amount of time, then that account would show up in the report. This could be done for each step of the order process. This way PN could be aware of problems before the customer contacts you. For those accounts that do encounter problems, this could help smooth things out and give those customers a better first impression since the order process is generally any customers first experience with a company.

Rob, I've been in the UK for 2 years now, but I suppose its never to late for a welcome. I've recently moved to a new flat which is the reason I am switching my ISP.

Peter, I probably should have contacted PN sooner, but shortly after selling DSL (sales was a foot in the door for me), I moved to Tech Support. Knowing what a thankless job that can be, I try not to call them unless I know something is wrong.

-Will
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Will,

We already monitor the rejections we get back from the XML system, however for some reason your order had got stuck before actually being submitted via XML. I'll certainly pass the feedback on as I think it's a good idea.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

But if its a 'new' number why does it already have a DSL signal on it?

This appears to be causing problems, BT are saying there is already a broadband service on the line so we can't place an order at the moment.
I've put some information on a ticket on your account that may be helpful, can you reply to the ticket and let me know if you make any headway.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team