cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Your Filter Setup

trexalan
Grafter

Check Your Filter Setup

Had bt round today down to the fact i had 63db loop loss on the phone line plusnet were ok did all the relevant tests before referring it to the big boys, anyway nobody tells you when setting up how to config. your filters, dont over look this cos this is wots screwed up my connection for the last three months and believe me im first on the phone slagging plusnet (sorry boys & girls) See if this works for anyone,If you use an extension to get to your pc only use the 1 filter at the pc end not at the bt socket end, if you need several things off the socket (as in my case) buy yourself a three way adaptor & this goes into the socket first then each item you have can be filtered seperately dont have more than one filter for each split on the three way adaptor, if you have two filters on the same piece of extension your filtering the fiter (not good). so the closer you can get the filter to your equipment the less confusing it is. this as worked for me very happy at long last.
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Check Your Filter Setup

I keep disconnecting, could my filters be the problem then?

We have one phone line downstairs with a filter on, BT have put an extention from the phone downstairs to a bedroom upstairs. The phone socket in the bedroom is connect to a filter then the modem. I am using two filters one on the phone line and one on the extension. Is only one needed then? if so which one? the filter downstairs or the filter upstairs (computer0
trexalan
Grafter

try 1 filter upstairs, let us know how you get on?
N/A

so basically ur saying dont have filter at the bt box but at the modem extension point?

well heres my set up

i currently have just a basic filter at the bt box and a 5 metre extension cable to my adsl modem, and the normal phone socket in the other socket on spliter.

so if iam hearing u right i would benifit if i removed the filter replaced that with a normal double adapter, and place my filter at my extension point near my pc?.

trexalan
Grafter

this is what the nice men from bt said & guess what i was downloading last night at 50+ these are my best speeds ever couldnt get more than 15 before.
N/A

> this is what the nice men from bt said & guess what i was downloading last night at 50+ these are my best speeds ever couldnt get more than 15 before.

Smiley
my filter is at bt socket and i get 60+dl speed on normal window downloading, kazzas rubbish thow, best ive had is 40 odd but not very often.
trexalan
Grafter

this is how thay told me to set it up. so when ive had a ***** connection for three months and then start getting a good one just on the back of wot thay told me to do theres got to be something in it, in my case could be due to how much equipment i have on the line ie: monitored alarm, fax machine,normal phone then the adsl just saying it works for me.
N/A

got afilter at downstairs phone,5mtr extension and filter at phone/pc.I get a true speed of 509/264 at the moment an just downloaded game at 59.I not tech.minded how much better could it get.

:bandit:
N/A

> got afilter at downstairs phone,5mtr extension and filter at phone/pc.I get a true speed of 509/264 at the moment an just downloaded game at 59.I not tech.minded how much better could it get.
>
> :bandit:
>

Dont get much better than that mate. and you are lucky that with all that load on the line you are still there
trexalan
Grafter

The point bt were trying to make to me was if you have more than one filter on each stretch of line it reduces the quality of the connection. Doesn't matter how many lines come off the main one providing you have a filter on the end of each.