and XP pro on another

just wondered which would be best

regards

ROB
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Changing to a router

Not much in it between the two.
I have a 504 which is fine but the netgear gets a slightly better write up on the Adslguide site.
I have installed the netgear one for a freind on his machine and network and its just as easy as the 504 to set up.
You want go wrong with either.
N/A

Changing to a router

when i first got my netgear dg814 i had never used a router before but I had it set up in no more than 30 mins. useful manual and easy web-based setup Smiley
N/A

Changing to a router

Smiley
thanks for the info
is there somewhere that i can get the plusnet settings for the netgear dg814
to make it easy for me to setup?
this includes ip setting for the other machines?

regards

ROB
Community Veteran

Changing to a router

Rob I've deleted your second posting of the above which I'm sure was just finger trouble.

You shouldnt need detailed instructions for the router . its all very self explanetary and the write up with it is good.
You should just be able to connect it to your network card. Type in 192.168.0.1 into your internet browser and a screen should appear asking for user and password.
From memory I think its admin and admin but the book will confirm this.
Then on the setup screen just enter your adsl connect code something like username@plus.net or @plusdsl.net depending when you originaly joined.
It will then connect and come back with your ip address etc.
Thats it for connecting.
Then you can play about with firewall setting that to what you want.
Community Veteran

Changing to a router

I dont think there is an offical guide, but the info in the support pages should help you.

Ive got a DG814 and moved from a modem about a year and a bit ago, if you get stuck there will be plenty of people happy to help.

Chris
N/A

Changing to a router

Many thanks to you all for your advice
just about to order myself a router and see how i go

thanks again

Rob
N/A

Changing to a router

Set up my DG814 on Sunday..... Easy peasy.. All the settings you need are here Install Guides Look for the Essential Connection details box.

Once you have the router set up and verified working, you'll probably need to download and update the firmware via www.netgear.com. My router arrived last Saturday sporting V4.2 of the firmware, current version is 4.8.

(Default login for router setup/maintenance is admin and the password is password)

Good luck!