cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from ISDN to Broadband questions

N/A

Hi,

Though I would ask my questions here first as I guess there are a few too many questions for the support to answer in contact us.

I've had ISDN with BT for around 18 months (broadband not available back then in my area but is now). On the computer side I am using a 700MHz Pentium III P3V4X VIA motherboard connected to ISDN through a USB connection.

Exchange
I used to have a lot of line crackle problems with my old analogue BT line (I've been told this was due to the old line protection devices at the exchange). My ISDN line has worked near perfectly so presumably ISDN is using newer equipment in the exchange :?: Presumably broadband would also be bypassing the old 'crackly' part of the exchange as well :?: If not I do not think my line would do well on the ISDN line tests.

How to go about changing from ISDN to Broadband

I do not want to have an extra line fitted so I guess my choices are;
a/ get my ISDN line converted back to analogue (I’ve had ISDN well over the year BT minimum period) and then apply to have it converted to broadband.
b/Get it all changed over at the same time.

Which methods works out cheaper and how much will it cost, I'm thinking a/ might be cheaper as I could use one of the home install options once the line was converted back to analogue. Although it would be nice to have it sorted by a BT engineer I am not fussed if my line if out of action for a week or two.

Contention Ratio and download speed

With a contention ratio of 50:1 I would expect at least 15 or so would be downloading at any one time (in busy periods) which would only give each download speed of around 4 kbytes/s slower than ISDN were I normally manage around 7 kbytes/s. Unfortunately I have never seen a broadband line in operation in my area but friends of friends who have it say its very fast so for some reason this appears not to be a problem at present. Not actually operating at the full contention ratio yet ??

To make it worth upgrading from ISDN I would hope to be able to get download speeds of at least 14 kBytes/s, am I likely to get this at peak times with a 50:1 contention ratio line? If I changed to the 20:1 option at a later date say after a year what change of contract charges would be involved?

Montly charges

At the moment I am paying BT £25 a month for ISDN (including a cheaper call package) and Plusnet ~£18 a month for two Fiasco accounts. How does it work with broadband I guess I will get ADSL home which is £21.99 a month to Plusnet what would I be paying BT in line rental on top of this – regular analogue line price :?:
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Contention rarely kicks in at its maximum for most people so you shouldn't worry about it too much.

You will pay normal analouge line rental to BT and the cost of your ADSL Home account to PlusNet.

I'd check BTs website for prices on your conversion to analouge and someone from PlusNet can probably fill you in on the prices if you get it done at the same time.

Chris
Community Veteran

Lot of questions but Ill try and answer a few.

Options I think you will have to get the line converted back to analogue first otherwise when BT come to test the line it will fail. Apparently reporting it as incompatable equipment?

As to speeds. I have had ADSL for well over a year now and it just works. Can't say that i've aver noticed contention at all. \now and again downloads are slower than expected but I think this is down to the overall internet path. (A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.)

Later upgrade.
I think the situation at the moment is that you would be classed as a cease and provide and you would have to pay for another reactivation (BTs charge to Plusnet) but your account will continue and just be increased to the new rate.
This reactivation fee may in time be less when BT set up a proper upgrade path which at the moment does not exist.

As to costs I just now pay the ADSL fee to plusnet and normal phone line and calls to BT.

Hope the above helps.
N/A

Sorry, I can't answer all of your questions but with regards ADSL contention, it is my understanding that this occurs on the uplink part only and not the downlink. If this is the case and I am open to other opinions then download rates will not be effected.

Cheers

Darren.
N/A

Hi there

In answer to the questions you have posted;

1) You will indeed have to get your line converted to a PSTN line. If you sign up for an account with ourselves, one of the options on signup is to select I have home highway. This way we will liase directly with BT to obtain this conversion. A cost of £50 + vat is applied by BT, which will be see on your BT telephone bill.

2) Contention at 50:1 at present will not significantly affect your download speeds at present. Once ADSL does become more popular, then this will adversly affect it, however I really don't think this should be a major concern presently.

Although you do presently get approximately 7kbps download, with the 50 : 1 contention account, you will get on average between 40 - 45 kbps. This will depend on where you are connecting too, as you may even get as high as 60 kbps. Whatever speed you do get on download, it will be significantly faster than your present ISDN service.

3) If you went for the £21.99 per month package, then this would include all your internet costs. You would still pay line rental/call charges to BT. This will of course reduce your monthly outgoings quite significantly. You will not need to maintain 2 friaco based accounts, as the one account does all.

N/A

Hi,

Many thanks for your helpful reply (and all the other replies) just a few more questions and I will attempt to sign up for braodband.

>A cost of £50 + vat is applied by BT

Does my current ISDN BT Digital Access (USB) box works with broadband :?: I was assuming I would also have to pay the £246.75 for a BT engineer fee as well to fit a broadband digital box but perhaps the changes (from ISDN) are just at the exchange end :?: :?:

>You will not need to maintain 2 friaco based accounts

I guess it will not be possible to transfer over my current plus.com email address and plus.com web addresses :?:

>Although you do presently get approximately 7kbps download, with the 50 : 1 contention account, you will get on average between 40 - 45 kbps.

Anything over 14 kbps and it would be well worth me changing over to broadband. If I need 14kbps at present I have to use my old pay as you go F9 account for a bundled ISDN connection which pains me greatly when I also pay for 2 Friaco based accounts.

Many thanks for the help already

Tom
N/A

Hi there

Your current ISDN box will not be compatible with any ADSL product. Not only do they make changes at the exchange end, they will also make changes to your socket, which is why they need an engineer on site visit.

The fees you quote are for a BT install product, whereas the price is significantly reduced with a self install product, (£70.50 monthly contract, £58.75 annual contract).

If you wish to keep your current email address, you can upgrade your current account, thereby keeping the email address. This however will only be applicable to one account.

Community Veteran

>Anything over 14 kbps and it would be well worth me changing over to broadband. If I need 14kbps at present I have to use my old pay as you go F9 account for a bundled ISDN connection which pains me greatly when I also pay for 2 Friaco based accounts.

Why don't use get 2 terminal adaptors and setup multilinking, this will give you 2x64k channels if you use 2 FRIACO accounts.

Chris
N/A

Hi,

Did not know this was possible but I think I will go over to Broadband as this will be faster.

Thanks

Tom
N/A

Hi,

Forgive me if I am being thick but for the £70.50 does the BT engineer change my ISDN digital box back to analogue at my house?

If not cannot see how it would work as the self install product will need a analogue socket to work (presumably) and will not work if plugged into my ISDN digtial box?

Regards

Tom Ault
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

The £70.50 covers the activation of your ADSL line at the local exchange. Your socket would be changed from ISDN to a standard PSTN box by the BT engineer when the ISDN is removed. This is covered by the £50+VAT that BT charge you directly for the ISDN conversion (i.e. on your phonebill).

Regards,
N/A

Hi,

Great I will try and order broadband tomorrow.

Many Thanks

Tom