cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in line speed support on BT Broadband speed checker?

N/A

Thought I would re-run a check on my line to see what the maximum speed the BT line checker says it will support. I have 512k at present and have checked many times in the past and it has always said I should be able to get up to 2MB.

Info provided on latest check today says I defintly cannot get 2MB and may be lucky to get 1MB !!

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

All very strange as my next door neighbour (there line does not have ADSL enabled at present) when using there phone number says they can receive up to 2MB.

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed.

This seems a bit odd to me as we both use the same exchange and live next door to one another. How can the checker give two different results. We are both approx 2 miles from the exchange?Huh
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Very easy, you may be on totally different lines to the exchange and yours is longer than theirs.

In any case the BT checker is not accurate and should only be treated as a guide. The only way to find out what speed you line supports is to request an upgrade.

If your router/modem shows line stats (line attenuation, SNR) those figures may tell you what speeds you are likely to get. If you do have those figures then see ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.
N/A

The point I am trying to make is that my results when I last checked (approx two months ago) were exactly the same as my neighbours. How can this change if the lines remain the same. Neither of us have had phones changed or work done on the lines and I am sure BT do not go around swopping lines to exchanges at random as this would disrupt the service even for short periods? In addition I have checked several other neighbours all living in the same road and all have the same result with 2MB being available to all, it is just mine which has changed. I am now being reported as needing engineer assistance to obtain even 1MB and two months ago was being reported as being able to get the 2MB maximum availablity with no assistance. Nothing has changed to my phone or line since I last did the BT check - all very strange to me.
My SNR / attenuation figures are not that bad and would indicate I should not have a problem getting 2MB?

Downstream
Noise Margin = 32dB
Attenuation = 38.5dB
Output Power = 17

Upstream
Noise margin = 13.5dB
Attenuation = 20.5dB
Output Power = 9dB
LiamM
Grafter

Yes, they indeed do seem fine for 2Mb. I would ignore what the BT checker says as it isn't usually all that reliable. As for why it has changed, i can't explain that.