cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change from ISDN Connect to Broadband some questions.

grimme
Grafter

We are currently using ISDN and the Connect Biz package. We want to change to ADSL Business and have a few questions.

1) We will be keeping the ISDN line and using an ADSL router with ISDN backup, choices are between a Zyxel router ie: 653HWI (we use the ISDN P202 currently) and a Draytek Vigor ie 2600Gi. Does anyone have any experience of these with regard to how efficient they are at going from ADSL to ISDN when the ADSL fails and also going back onto ADSL when it's up again?

2) We would be looking at adding ADSL to one of two BT phone lines, the first is currently used as an incoming fax line, the second is used with a modem to connect to a Bank. Which of these is best to convert up to ADSL?

3) When is the best time to start the process so that the changeover to ADSL happens Fri night/Sat am?

4) Will the freecall ISDN number automatically refuse to allow us to use it as soon as the changeover occurs? Or will there be a hour or two's use while the other router is connected in?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

1. I've not used any routers with ISDN backup so I can't make any comment on that unfortunately.

2. It shouldn't really matter which you use, although if you regularly use the modem I'd say put it on the fax line as on occassions ADSL will cause a dial-up modem to be a little slower (mine meant from about 44kbps to 40kbps).

3. The normal lead time for an ADSL activation is about 5 working days, sometimes it's done quicker, sometimes it can take a little longer. If you want to try and time it to happen on a Friday then the best time is to place the upgrade order the previous Friday or Saturday.

4. The best way to do it is to set the router up early and as soon as the ADSL is activated your router will try and connect, once our side picks up that you are trying to connect it will activate the ADSL and deactivate the free dial-up number.
grimme
Grafter

Thanks, will make sure the request is activated on a Fri/Sat.
grimme
Grafter

Thanks, will make sure the request is activated on a Fri/Sat.