cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change MTU value on Dlink 504 ?

N/A

Change MTU value on Dlink 504 ?

Have just received email from Plusnet support regards optimizing the connection by modifying the MTU value on the computer. However, I assume this will have no impact for me as I connect to a router (DLink DSL-504)not modem, and I suppose it is the MTU value of the router I need to change to get this 'optimization'.

Has anyone tried this yet? Any difference before/after? Whats the procedure?

Thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Change MTU value on Dlink 504 ?

> Have just received email from Plusnet support regards optimizing the connection by modifying the MTU value on the computer. However, I assume this will have no impact for me as I connect to a router (DLink DSL-504)not modem, and I suppose it is the MTU value of the router I need to change to get this 'optimization'.
>
> Has anyone tried this yet? Any difference before/after? Whats the procedure?
>
> Thanks
>

Having seen various threads regarding the MTU issue over the last couple of months my suggestion is that you leave the router setting well alone and only alter the settings on individual PC's within your Network.

I found that the 1458 setting worked well enough when I was using a USB modem but when I moved to using a router that 1430 was a faster option ( don't know why it just was).

My current settings ( set using DrTCP)

are

MTU - 1430
TCP Recieve Window - 27800
Window Scaling - Yes

This seems to work for me.

Hope this helps

Steve
jberry
Grafter

> However, I assume this will have no impact for me as I connect to a router (DLink DSL-504)not modem, and I suppose it is the MTU value of the router I need to change to get this 'optimization'.

Hi there,

You don't need to change anything on your router. Just your network cards. If you thing of it like this...

You send data out of your computer and your optimised network card send the data with an MTU on 1458. You router will pick these up and forward them on in exactly the same state - it will just ignore the spare 'space' between 1458 and 1500.

If, however, you send data out of a non-optimised network card (MTU 1500) to a router set at 1458 the data will be fragmented at your router (effectively what happens on BT's kit to cause the problem in the first place).

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+
N/A

Thanks for the replies, I think I am well advised probably to leave the router as is - several forums have doomed stories re. firmware/modifying settings from the command line.

I'll try a change on the PC. Thanks

> > However, I assume this will have no impact for me as I connect to a router (DLink DSL-504)not modem, and I suppose it is the MTU value of the router I need to change to get this 'optimization'.
>
> Hi there,
>
> You don't need to change anything on your router. Just your network cards. If you thing of it like this...
>
> You send data out of your computer and your optimised network card send the data with an MTU on 1458. You router will pick these up and forward them on in exactly the same state - it will just ignore the spare 'space' between 1458 and 1500.
>
> If, however, you send data out of a non-optimised network card (MTU 1500) to a router set at 1458 the data will be fragmented at your router (effectively what happens on BT's kit to cause the problem in the first place).
>
> Regards
>
> Josh
> --
> | Josh Berry.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
> ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+