cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Pipes and Humongous MS

N/A

Any idea why I seem to connect to "lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag2.plus.net" more often than any other central pipe?

When I do a tracert the hop returns 170-200ms but if I reboot about 5 times and finally get put on something else (currently on "lo0-plusnet.thn-ag1.plus.net") I get 33ms..

Have I got an issue with that pipe or is there a problem with it? Could it just be a one off connection fault? (even though everytime I connect to it, which is about 90% of the time on reboot, its the same)..?

Any way to script my router to avoid it haha, or ask PN to default me to a certain pipe? (yeah right lol)

Is there any site that shows current status of each of the pipes as the one mentioned above really doesnt seem right. Almost like its just over-piled, why it connects me on that one almost every time is beyond me.

Thanks for reading.

--Edit

When I ping ptn-ag2 pipe from the one I am currently on it seems fine. It just seems to give high ms results when I am actually using it to connect to other hosts such as www.bbc.net.uk.
4 REPLIES
N/A

lol, you sure you've never been cross enough with CS on the phone to make them default you to the bad boy pipe? Cheesy

Seriously though, surely their network should load balance itself to make sure that doesn't happen shouldn't it? Especially since they claim that they buy the bandwidth up front - I could understand if they bought pipes on an arrears basis based on segments actually used.
N/A

lol maybe I am on the bad boy list now Shockedops:, I must admit I havent been as pro-pn as I use to be since my horrific ordeal with maxdsl/interleaving lol. Not that horrific but it leaves alot of questions to be asked and even more unanswered.

But back to the point, I have no idea whats going on. People use to go on about a certain pipe being better than the rest a couple of months ago, I can remember reconnectiong about 20 times once to see if it was better and never even seeing it appear. I have always been put on 1 of 3 pipes I believe: ptn-ag2, pte-ag2, thn-ag1. More often than not these are the ones I am placed upon.

I think those are the right ones, all I remember is I never got on this wonder pipe which I think people said was PTN-AG1. And I reconnected daily for months and never noticed it, so.. Your guess is as good as mine, probably just a luck issue and I dont have any lol.

I dont think PN would do anything untoward heh. I remember reading something about the PN Contention Ratio for Business BB was all lies, is this true? Maybe Business customers are governed differently, I would really love to know how it works.
N/A

I also have a business account at work (where else would it be :shock: ) and I have to say, its always been rock solid, with virtually no deterioration ever. The only issue we ever had with it was when the RADIUS servers went haywire and nobody could authenticate.
I have no idea whether its luck that its always been this good, or if its been as a result of better management at PN's end, I suppose there are too many variables to be able to work it out unequivocally.

Incidentally, the business account is currently connected to pte-ag2 :shock:
N/A

Heh I dunno. There are a few guys on here that understand it well, just have to hope one of them replies and can explain it Wink