cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Bandwidth

Firejack
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

With all the talk of Plus.net being full to capacity. Find myself asking the question: Are there no other supplies available to Plus.net? 622Mbps is pitiful in the grand scheme of things. Thats no more then 25 24Mbps ADSL2+ users. There are Optical Carrier standards that give 40 Gbps (OC-76Cool. Using OC-12 (622Mbps) seems totally inadequate.

Wonder what countries like Japan do for central bandwidth. I mean they have 23% of users on FTTH now with speeds of upto 1Gbps. Hong Kong has Ethernet last miles to homes offering up to 1GBps also. These countries must be doing something we are not.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Central Bandwidth

PN are limited to what connectivity options BT have available to ISPs that want to connect to their network.

155Mbs and 622Mbs pipes are all that is available under the BT central banner. Trials for larger pipe 1GB+ are either under way or due to be soon which will give another option, but that is unlikely to be available generally for some time yet.

Tiscali LLU is the only other option available and they use fatter pipes for interconnectivity to PlusNet, but due to the issues PN had, this is currently no longer an option.

Then there are the costs. This is the one reason why PN have not added any additional bandwidth because it would break their model and thus run at a loss.
Firejack
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

Cost does appear to be the sticking point. I just can't find anything that explains why countries like Japan can afford faster networks and we can't. We have access to the same skills, same technology, same hardware supplies, we also have the same strong economy with high user demand for Broadband.

Where are we going wrong? :shock:
GersFans
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

Where are we going wrong? :shock:

Not enough people moan/complain about the poor standards we have in relation to other countries, so companies give us what the companies want..not what we should have/need.

I have friends in Norway and Italy who refuse to share files with me because the UK upload speed is so slow.. :lol:
Firejack
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

Upload speeds are a nightmare. I could easily consume a 10Mbps upload from my home connection. Right now I am limited on what I use my connection for because of upload speeds Sad
nogginthenog
Grafter

an answer?

sadly it is Britains archaic infrastructure of telephones,underground,sewerage etc (Brunel must be spinning in his grave, amongst other greats) that deny fast internet access that is standard in the far East.
On a cheerier note though,in a recent study somewhere, sorry i should attribute here but cant be asked, most americans have a slower broadband service than us.

that said i would not want to live anywhere else but here in dear old Blighty
madswitcher
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

It doesn't help much, but a lot of the blame can be very firmly put at the feet of Aunty Maggie (Thatcher). BT wanted to lay fibre to everyone's door, but she was the one that blocked it.

Mike
MrToast
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

I just can't find anything that explains why countries like Japan can afford faster networks and we can't.

Its all a matter of the Telco's finding a migration route to a new business model that allows them to generate revenue from all that dark fibre they have lying around without loosing the revenue from current services.

Japan Telecom are doing it. There is no fundamental technical reason why european Telco's couldn't.
Liam
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

Upload speeds are a nightmare. I could easily consume a 10Mbps upload from my home connection. Right now I am limited on what I use my connection for because of upload speeds Sad

I concur....

A nice fast upload would be nice.

Bring on FTTB (Fibre to the Bedroom) ;-)
Firejack
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

....Bring on FTTB (Fibre to the Bedroom) ;-)
Liam you old devil. I was talking more along the lines of hosting additional game servers and my website from home. Not webcasting late night action with the girlfriend. That was what you were suggesting? Tongue :lol:
James
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

Given where Liam lives, this concerns me.

A lot.
Liam
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

Shockedops: Ahem

(Didn't realise the potential connotations!)

But no, that is certainly not what i was suggesting.
Liam
Grafter

Central Bandwidth

Given where Liam lives, this concerns me.

A lot.

Tongue