Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier Pre Select

N/A

Carrier Pre Select

Hi there,

One maybe for Phillip or Peter,

A client of ours has been told that having carrier pre select (re billing services) enabled on his phone line will/could affect a future adsl activation on his line.

Is this true? I have endeavoured to find out information on this but am not coming up with a definitive answer.

Client was given this information by a sales rep from a well known telecoms giant. :shock:

Any advice welcome.

Regards

Mark
8 REPLIES
N/A

Carrier Pre Select

If it is only CPS, then future ADSL activations will not be effected.

There was once a myth that if you order a CPS service whilst ADSL is on the line, then it would cause BT to cease teh ADSL service. I am assued this is no longer true.
N/A

Carrier Pre Select

Hi Phillip,

Cheers for that.

I can rest easy now.

Best regards

Mark

p.s spose I'll have to cut you in on the consultancy fee now. :lol:
Community Veteran

Carrier Pre Select

Yep, adding CPS to a line should not effect any ADSL service currently active and should not stop ADSL being activated in the future on lines that don't have ADSL yet.

There are a number of CPS companies that state this.

HOWEVER... some of the companies are starting to offer a service where you pay them line rental instead of BT. In this situation, some state if you do this then ADSL cannot be put on the line. See a post on ADSLguide about OneTel here.
N/A

Carrier Pre Select

Thanks Peter,

In fact having just spoken with my client this is infact what he proposes. He wants to move his billing and line rental from BT.

We want to move him to Plus Net for ADSL and need to ensure that any action on his part wont upset the apple cart.

His proposed Telecom Billing Company are not instilling much confidence. They have merely stated that "there shouldnt be a problem" but dont want to commit that to paper.

Hard to know what to do.

Mark
Community Veteran

Carrier Pre Select

The only safe way to go is to find a CPS company you can pay line rental to and can commit to paper the guarantee that ADSL will not be effected and they will pay any activation fees if ADSL is cancelled when they switch to them.

Not sure if you will find a company that will say that though. So you may have to take a chance. You could also try ringing BT and see what they say about moving to a CPS company, paying line rental to them and also having ADSL on the line.
N/A

Carrier Pre Select

Hi Peter,

Agreed, that may be difficult.

I have spoken with BT who are being fairly non committal, which is understandable. Basically they say that in most cases this will not be a problem but they will give no guarantees as it is up to the new provider to ensure that there systems will not cause a problem.

All I can do is point out the issues to my client and let him decide the best way forward.

Thanks again to you and Phillip for your input.

Looks like two cuts of the fee. Cry

Best regards

Mark
N/A

Carrier Pre Select

Send mine on a signed blank cheque.

What is odd here is that the Total Billing method should not technicaly pose a problem. Handoff to the supplier is usualy performed at a local POP, or rather, after the Dial-tone.

As ADSL is before the Dial-tone, it is supposidly still within the control of BT for ADSL services. AKA, i can only see BT being the limiting factor here.

I must admit, it would be interesting to see if an ISP, or Andrew from ADSL Guide could get his contacts at BT to fix the situation for somebody having issues.

However, Ofcom would also be the one to write to, asking if they can look into the situation. Get they to investigate and commit to thr written "yes" or "no".
N/A

Carrier Pre Select

Send mine on a signed blank cheque.

Its in the post :lol:

Couple of interesting points there.

Andrew might be worth a shout and a letter to Offcom should get an answer.

Thanks again.

Mark