cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capping my own bandwidth

N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

Hi
I have had a problem with my modem since i got is, in that it restarts my computer. I have tried many thing to fix it and all failed. My latest hunch is that it is only on uploads that it crashes. It seems that it crashes most after clicking links. I monitored the bandwidth when it crashes and it seems to crsh most at higher upload bandwidths. It has never crashed on a low upload bandwidth. I know this seems weird. That brings me to my question, Is there any way to cap / limit my own upload bandwidth, to say 56kbps? I realise that the internet will be slower but i want to be able to still download at full speed witbout crashes. Any software, config settings that do this would be greatly appreciated. I have the USB Dynamode A360 Modem, and run windows 98. for more info read the topic entitled 'Sudden Restart on ADSL'
Thanks very much
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Capping my own bandwidth

Is it on a VIA motherboards USB socket, or are you using a powered hub or PCI USB card?

If not the later then you should try and get one. As very few mother boards deliver enough power for modems on USB, epecially VIA chipsets. So get a PCI USB card or a powered USB hub
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

Why on earth would you want to limit your speed.
Dump the USB modem and get a network card & DSL Modem router. As I expect it is the USB that is at fault (Most likely computer PSU cannot supply enough ampage at constant voltage under CPU/HD and USB load)
This may have a cost implication for you but why pay the DSL fees for only 56K speeds.
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

I only use Via chipset based boards and have never had a problem with them not giving enough current for USB modems or other.
The KT400 boards have more than enough to go round.
Saying that,there could be a power drain on the psu under heavy loads.
A 400 watt psu would solve it.
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

Regardless of the strength of your PSU, only a very limited amount of power is provided to the USB ports.

It is a combination of the VIA chipset being unable to cope with the high power drain, and the actual modem draining so much.
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

It must just be coincidental that it crashes at high upload bandwidth. It must be the power instead. This morning i decided to try and fix the modem. I cut a USB A to B cable in half. I then soldered it back together, minus the red and black power wires. I connected these directly to the 5v output of my PSU. The modem ran fine, and i thought i had fixed it. Until it once again restarted my comp. I then used an external multi voltage adaptor to power it, and it still restarted. Very weird indeed. That pretty much rules it out being a power problem. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

It is not the wire power that is at issue (though the modem will likely faulter, if the USB wire power is low).

The problem stems inside the motherboard chipset. Other power ragulation takes place before the chipset, to keep things sweet, however, the strength of the draw is still detectable inside the chipset.

It is likely the iregularities in the power draw, that causes the chipset to fall over.

I have known this to happen on with USB modems and USB powered devices, that are likely to reach a power draw limit (scanners is the other most common).
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

I wonder if an addin PCI USB2 card will overcome the sort of problem with VIA chipsets ??, providing the PSU is up to scratch.
I am led to believe that USB2 has higher power capabilities and is backward compatible with USB1.1 devices.
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

Possibly, though I have never tested this theory. I moved away from VIA based technology, and started using P4's some time ago.

This may well be true however, though ti seems expensive to perform a trial.

PSU's should be easily up to it. USB2 cards usualy support wire based power, and have a socket for plugging a trusty HD power coupler in. These are present on most firewire cards, and means that PCI based power doesn't suffer.

USB 1.1 devices will work on USB2 cards, which is handy. In many cases though, USB2 devices will not work when used in a USB 1.1 slot. This is because they use the new fangled technology to total advantage.
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

Thanks for that, I think im gonna totally give up on that modem. I have planned for a while to set up a home network, with adsl. I am unsure as to which devices to get. I have seen 4 port adsl routers(with built in modem) quite cheap.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...

These share the internet between up to four computers. My question is, can you network those computers using the router? Or will i need to buy a network switch and plug it into that?
Also, is there any chance of part exchanging my Dynamode A360 USB for the router version?

Thanks
Community Veteran

Capping my own bandwidth

Yes you can,
You can network upto 4 computers, if you need to connect any more you can add a hub or switch.

Chris
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

So if i buy that 4 port router, i will be able to acces plusnet on three pcs, aswell as exchanging files, sharing peripherals, playing games etc between the three? will someone please confirm that this is true with the following router:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...

Thanks
Community Veteran

Capping my own bandwidth

Yes this is fine.
The device has a built in hub, so it's just like if you have a few PCs connected to a stand alone hub.

Chris
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

Good price. Also has NAT.
Make sure, when you can, that you use the RJ45 and a LAN card in your PC and not the USB connection. Otherwise you may be back in the same situation.
N/A

Capping my own bandwidth

Thanks for every one's help!!! I ll buy the router as soon as possible.