cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capped Premier account on Usenet

N/A

I was asked by Plusnet about 2 months ago to restrict my downloading useage at peak times. Now as I signed up for the Premier Unlimited account this came as a bit of a shock to me. However, as I am a reasonable chap, I changed my habits and restricted myself to downloading large files overnight. I was told at the time that if my usage continued to be over 150gb per month then I would be capped on my bandwidth. I received an E-Mail about 3 weeks later stating that they were happy with my usage change and that all would remain as normal. However from then on I was being capped whenever I used Usenet in an evening. After many E-mails to the tech support dept, and many stupid answers in return, I find myself here. I used to get 220kbs download speed, then it dropped to 30 kbs (less then 512k connection), tonight it is at 3kbs (less than dial up !!!). I want to know what the hell is going on. I have been reading up on the various sites about people having a bad time with Plusnet and I am wondering if I have made a very very poor decision in migrating over to them.

Your thoughts on the subject are invited.

R Lovatt
mail@lovatt535.plus.com
3 REPLIES
N/A

Usrnet & P2P Traffic is shaped during peak hours in order "to provide better service" (Plus Net), in reality this can be upto around a 10% reduction in speed in these services at peek times.

Have you checked your exchange status recently? as it's possible your local exchange may have a problem at peek times which could also account for your low speeds.

If your still not happy then raise a ticket, as even with all this taken into consideration, they shouldn't be as low as you've stated your experiencing.
N/A

I have been raising tickets for 2 months now with no sucess. I wanted to do this in private but Plusnet didn't seem to care , hence the forum post. All my other traffic HTTP etc is fine, only my Usenet is affected so Plusnet is obviously capping my account. This only started to happen after they -mailed me about my useage.

I just tried Usenet and guess what, offpeak at 7am I can get 3 connections all at around 87kbs, totaling over 250kbs. Obviously Plusnet is cappig at peak times. What more proof do I need to provide to sort out this BULLS**T ?
N/A

Same Problem

I also have the same problem, I beleived that when I signed up for their 'Premier Account' that it was unlimited downloads. Now with this 'capping system' they are forcing us to upgarde to a more expensive account. What can we do?