Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Surf the internet

N/A

Cant Surf the internet

Hi Guys,

Heres the scenaro ......

Had a laptop running windows 2000 with a Binatone ADSL modem connected via a USB port everything worked fine. Then my laptop went faulty so I connected the modem to the new laptop also running windows 2000 using the install CD. The modem installed correctly and I can connect to ADSL using my name and password.
What I can't do is to access any web pages eg www.google.co.uk even if if I just put in the ip address, although I can ping certain sites eg plusnet.
Am I correct in thinking that I don't have to change anything under IE connection setting like port, proxy etc as I don't have anything there anyway.
Its all very strange - any help appreciated.

Nick
3 REPLIES
N/A

Cant Surf the internet

This could be a DNS config error as I assume you can get your Email OK.
Do the following
Go to 'Networking' - ensure the box TCP/IP is ticked.
'Networking - properties', tick boxes 'obtain IP address and
DNS servers automatically ' ( if this fails enter your plusnet supplied
IP address manually and DNS servers as : 212.159.13.49 &
212.159.13.50)

[above copied from post by Aleca - to save my typing)
cookie141
Grafter

Cant Surf the internet

Sounds like Delude (or variant) virus. It prevents access to the most major search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Lycos, MSN and AltaVista.
More info:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/delude.shtml

Hope this helps
Cookie.
powerhouse
Dabbler

Cant Surf the internet

have experienced that last week.. thought it was hardware problem, configuration error or bt fault... searched everywhere for possible source of error... i ended up reinstalling the OS, updated necessary files, and have run mcafee before browsing... my problem sorted out Wink