cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Change MTU with Binatone Adsl 500 (New Version)

N/A

Whenever i try and change my MTU it still stays the same at 1472. This is reported on dslreports.com and speedguide.net. Has anyone else got this problem?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What are you using to change it?

If it's DrTCP make sure you select the correct device before updating the settings.

Did you reboot after making the change - this is necessary to restart your net services which then pick up the new MTU value.
N/A

Ive tried several things to change it including DrTcp and I have selected the correct modem and it changes ok in that program. I have rebooted and when i check in DrTcp the settings are the same as what i set them to. However, when i do a test on them from the mentioned websites the MTU is locked at 1472. Ive managed to ping through with an MTU of 1464 so that means my maximum MTU is 1492 but i cant change it! Im beginning to think that because of the way this new modem is designed (as a network adapter) that the MTU is locked into the modem. Ive searched on the net but found very little about this modem. If anyone else has this modem perhaps they could try to change the MTU settings and see what they find?
pcorker
Grafter

With Bin500, Win98SE, DrTCP and Speedguide It seems changeable for me. I had to refresh (ctrl/f5) the Speedguide page to see the updated readings when I changed the settings.
(Thanks for the Speedguide link!)
Pat
N/A

Which modem is it, the one with two or the one with three lights?
N/A

Mumid which OS are you using is it XP ?
If so have you changed MTU in the box 'dial up MTURAS' ?
Alec
N/A

Alec yeah i have, these are my settings:

Windows XP

TCP receive window: 17184
WS: NO
TS: NO
Selective Acks: YES
Path MTU Discovery: NO
BHD: NO
MAX Acks: 2
TTL: 64
Dial up RAS MTU: 1472
MTU: 1472

If i change the MTU and RAS MTU it will not change no matter what. Im getting about 95-98% bandwidth effienciency on dslreports.com and highest 56.6/30.6 on speed test. However i am able to ping through with an MTU of 1464 so i would like to try MTU = 1492 as i feel this would give me a better connection.

There is a advanced option page for this modem @
http://192.168.1.2/doc/admin.htm

but there is no option to change the MTU, there is only loads of useless router settings!
N/A

In your modems advanced set up page,
make sure you have chosen RFC 2364 PPPOA.
If you blank (delete) the two MTU values in DrTCP save exit
and re-boot this should restore windows default of MTU 1500.
If you re - open DrTCP after re- boot, the two boxes should still
be blank , if not something is changing things back to 1472,
maybe that Binatone 'thing'.
If the boxes are blank then take the DSL reports tweak test again
and check that MTU is 1500, you can then change to any MTU value
with DrTCP.
If DrTCP is still blank but your getting MTU 1472 on DSLreports.
Navigate to the two registry keys I listed on third page of
MTU tweak topic and check what MTU is listed on those keys.
If those keys are default then MTU is being changed elswhere.
There is a further list of Registry keys for MTU on Cablenut
website ( again link in MTU topic) you may want to check
all those keys to find where the 1472 value is.
The speedguide.net page is a bit unreliable in that you
need to keep refreshing the page to get the right values
so stick with Dslreports.
However there is another tool called TCP/IP optimizer,
on the Speedguide.net site which enable you to change MTU
if you use the manual process so you may want to give that a try.
I don't think you'll get improvements by upping MTU to 1492
it may be an exchange problem, but that's besides the point
you should be able to use any MTU value with a USB modem.
Alec
N/A

Ok cheers for all those suggestions, ill try them when i get in and report back!

Thanks!
pcorker
Grafter

mumid
Sorry, i lied. I can change the settings below 1472 but not above (eg 1473 defaults to 1472) I tried with both DrTCP and MaxMTU and both failed. I have a 3 lights modem. So, it seems like Binatone puts on a 1472 limit .... somewhere...
Pat
pcorker
Grafter

After I had finished trying things out (above) I thought I would just see how badly it ran with the rather random settings I had used. The speed was better than ever!
I was using an MTU of 1473 (which Speedlink saw as 1742) and an RWIN of 5840 (I have no idea why!)
I tried an RWIN of zero in the Doc and in speedguide it said my RWIN was 8592 perhaps that is a Binatone default. I tried 8592 with 1473 but it was slow.
I tried Speedguide' s suggested RWIN of 63008 but that was slow also, as was 17184 as suggested in the forum though that was better.
So, I tried the mystery 5840 again with 1473 and got over 480kbps for the first time ever! How strange.
Well, that was all very unscientific and perhaps I just hit a purple patch of low contention but I am going to keep the magic 5840 for a while and see how it goes over time - and enter those numbers in Saturdays Lotto!
Pat.
N/A

RWIN is not supposed to make much difference with USB modems. HOwever, it should be a multiple of the MTU. So, for 1473, and your experience with an RWIN of 5840 I would set the RWIN at 5892
N/A

Pcorker you are absolutely right mate. I set my rwin to 5728 (1432(mss) x 4) and i get 501kbps on speedtest and 100% bandwidth efficiency on dslreports. I suggest anyone else with this modem to try that setting.

BTW still cant change the MTU even after trying all those suggestions aleca.

Thanks
N/A

Mumid what kind of speed do you get on the DSLreports
speedtest using that setting ? http://www.dslreports.com/stest
N/A

After more testing this setting seems absolutely solid on this modem. Ive ran about 4 tests on both dslreports and speedtest and they have stayed constant with 100& bandwidth efficiency and a solid 501 kbps on speedtest. Before the bandwidth effieciency would fluctuate between 95-99% and the speedtest would be anywhere from 30to 56 kbps. I have ran three tests on each and they have not changed at all.

Here are the results

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=8e003fdfad93ed4d98e003fd

http://monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/block:1a006f6?service=dsl&speed=512&os=winXP&via=normal

Cheers