Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get online with my new ADSL connection

Claremac
Grafter

Cannot get online with my new ADSL connection

Hi,
I have had an ADSL line for 5 days now and I still can’t access the internet successfully. I can logon OK and surf for about 1 minute. I then get the DNS error Cannot Access Website (or something, you’d think I’d know I’ve seen it so many times!). I have a Solwise USB modem as I don’t have any PCI slots left for an internal modem. My wireless mouse has been losing its connection too. I have re-installed my modem software.
Plusnet have been very helpful and they suggested it might well be a problem with overloading of USB devices as I have four - ADSL modem, SD Card Reader, scanner, wireless mouse. So today I bought a 7-port USB hub. I have tried every combination I can think of with all the devices plugged in to the hub, moving them one by one on to the PC, all except the ADSL modem on the PC, all except the ADSL modem on the hub but nothing works but this time instead of the error message, IE6 just locks up. Outlook Express also fails to connect.
My motherboard is an Asus A7V with a VIA Apollo KT133 chipset. I had heard that some motherboards with VIA chipsets have a problem with USB modems. I downloaded the 4-in-1 drivers a couple of weeks ago.
I had thought of ditching my 56k modem and freeing up a PCI slot but then I would have no alternative means of getting online which would seem foolish.
I am using the Contact Us to communicate with Support but thought I would post here in case anybody had had any similar problems. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I should try next? Extremely grateful for any help.

Regards

Clare
7 REPLIES
elton
Grafter

RE: Cannot get online with my new ADSL connection

Try disconnecting all your USB devices, including the hub, and leaving the modem alone connected.
If it's a problem caused by an excessive power load on the USB port, and your new USB hub isn't self powered, adding this will only make matters worse.
If your adsl works with just the modem connected, you need to get a PCI USB card, or a new motherboard.

> Hi,
> I have had an ADSL line for 5 days now and I still can’t access the internet successfully. I can logon OK and surf for about 1 minute. I then get the DNS error Cannot Access Website (or something, you’d think I’d know I’ve seen it so many times!). I have a Solwise USB modem as I don’t have any PCI slots left for an internal modem. My wireless mouse has been losing its connection too. I have re-installed my modem software.
> Plusnet have been very helpful and they suggested it might well be a problem with overloading of USB devices as I have four - ADSL modem, SD Card Reader, scanner, wireless mouse. So today I bought a 7-port USB hub. I have tried every combination I can think of with all the devices plugged in to the hub, moving them one by one on to the PC, all except the ADSL modem on the PC, all except the ADSL modem on the hub but nothing works but this time instead of the error message, IE6 just locks up. Outlook Express also fails to connect.
> My motherboard is an Asus A7V with a VIA Apollo KT133 chipset. I had heard that some motherboards with VIA chipsets have a problem with USB modems. I downloaded the 4-in-1 drivers a couple of weeks ago.
> I had thought of ditching my 56k modem and freeing up a PCI slot but then I would have no alternative means of getting online which would seem foolish.
> I am using the Contact Us to communicate with Support but thought I would post here in case anybody had had any similar problems. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I should try next? Extremely grateful for any help.
>
> Regards
>
> Clare

--
Skonko!
N/A

I've only recently had my ADSL installed (recently enabled exchange (Kesgrave)) and have noticed that connectivity with the outside world seems to go away sometimes. DNS just doesn't work (can't ping anything - haven't tried using an IP address). However it bursts back into life after a few minutes, only to go away again. It only seems to do this early in the morning, so I'm guessing it was or is something to do with other people being online at the same time.

Normally (day and evening) it works just fine. I use a router so definitely nothing to do with USB.
Thought it was the same prob this am but whereas google is unavailable the BBC etc is there.

N/A

Hi,

There is a problem with DNS this morning and intermittently yesterday. I have raised a ticket, so let's wait and see ....

regards

Roy
> Normally (day and evening) it works just fine. I use a router so definitely nothing to do with USB.
> Thought it was the same prob this am but whereas google is unavailable the BBC etc is there.
>
>

N/A

hi there,a friend of mine has had the same problem using a usb modem with a hub and other devices as well.he has tried powered and unpowered types and they all stop working after 1-5 mins.he was using a laptop pc so he had to install a pcmia card to give him more usb slots.a pci card in yours should do the trick.good luck

--
Claremac
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. The 7-port hub I am trying is a powered one so it looks like it is not a USB power issue. I have tried using just the modem with all other USB devices unplugged but the result is the same. I haven't got a spare PCI slot and if I had I would have installed a PCI modem and hopefully avoided all this aggro. So I can't install any further internal cards can I or am I missing something? Grateful for any further advice.

Regards,

Clare
N/A

hallo,are you trying the usb modem directly into the usb port or are you using the hub,does your modem support 1.1 or 2.0 i'm not sure if this makes a difference,but if you do get a connection and then it ceases it would point towards an equipment failure.you say you have no spare pci slots,do you have an onboard network connection it would then allow you to use a router for your dsl connection

--
N/A

ps some usb dsl modems allready have a network connection as well as there usb one it could save you some expense if this is the case