cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect for more than 5mins

N/A

A neighbour I've referred cannot connect for more than a couple of minutes - five at the most. I've raised a ticket several days ago but Plusnet seem to be dragging their heals so I thought I'd ask here.

The pc is a new Dell and the the modem a Plusnet supplied 105 Voyager. Both phone sockets in the house have microfilters and the green DSL light on the modem stays lit - solid. After connecting (always on the second attempt for some reason - it'll never connect first time) the connection will drop after several mins.

We've tried disconnecting all phones (all two of them) and wiring straight into the main BT socket - no joy. We've re-installed the modem driver (downloaded from Plusnet's site) - made no difference. We've changed out the microfilters - no difference. We've brought all the kit to my house (I've connected reliably for just over two years) and it all works fine here.

We've also tried the line test utility to my neighbours no. and it checks out ok. So does anyone know why they should keep losing their connection?

One further point is that 18 months ago my neighbour (actually 1.5 mile further down the road than me - we're rather rural here!)) was told they couldn't have BB - too far away from the excahnge - too much loss on the line. Twelve months later people round about them have had it installed and now indeed - so have they. I'm just wondering if they may be teetering on the edge of whats possible. However that green DSL light always stays on - yet the connection drops.

Any ideas?

Brian
26 REPLIES
N/A

I have been suffering from loss of sync about every 5 minutes too, Really annoying when trying to use the internet. If anyone could i wouldnt mind an explanation for this?
N/A

There can be a great many reasons for frequent disconnects, many of which are down to the end users equipment, wiring or filters.

For some helpful advice and self diagnosis please see the following tutorials.

ADSL Trouble Shooting

ADSL Wiring and Filters

Both should provide some insight and may even help to resolve the problem.
N/A

But surely having a stable connection without a drop out for over 300 hours solid would mean that their is not a problem with my wiring & no settings have been changed or wiring and any equipment. This fault cant be @ my end can it?
N/A

Not necessarily.

Your wiring can degrade, your filters can do likewise as can your hardware.

In addition your external wiring can also degrade or can be "altered" by BT whilst doing other work, there could be a problem at your exchange or something could be causing RF interferance.

The list is long I know, but thats the way it is.

The problem is most probably at your end or between your premises and the exchange.

The tutorials will give you an idea of what to look for.
N/A

Just to add.

I have exactly the same problem, I first noticed it on Friday. I have internet connection for about 5-10mins, then internet connection is lost - then at times the problem disappears. The ADSL modem is not dropping out, only way to regain connection is by disconnecting and logging again into PlusNet - It's feels similar to a DNS dropping out at host, however it's not this as PtoP also fails.

Nothing has changed on my computer, and my hardware has been in place over 3 years now.

If it continues i'll raise a ticket.
N/A

Same here since yesterday. Last night was bad, during the night it cut out completely, this morning was bad again, and this afternoon it's nearly impossible to keep a connection! I'm getting seriously fed up with all this.
Ritey
Grafter

Not necessarily.

Your wiring can degrade, your filters can do likewise as can your hardware.

In addition your external wiring can also degrade or can be "altered" by BT whilst doing other work, there could be a problem at your exchange or something could be causing RF interferance.

The list is long I know, but thats the way it is.

The problem is most probably at your end or between your premises and the exchange.

The tutorials will give you an idea of what to look for.

UMM, maybe read all other posts in the forums and this answer would seem a bit rediculous
N/A

Considering the date of the post and my reply I would respectfully suggest that there is no corelation betweeen the two sets of circumstances. Wink
Ritey
Grafter

Ah point taken Shockedops:

Just testing if it wasnt a PN date issue to date to the list :lol:
N/A

Same problem here. Lost connection trying to post this reply.
ASDL modem shows connection to be OK.
Problem occurs with more than one system but the same Netgear GT834 modem.
N/A

Apparently there is a problem with 'ptn-ag1' gateway which I am connected to!!
N/A

fred35, in the Community Help forum there is thread where Dave is asking which gateway people are connecting to - from that thread it would appear one of the gateways has decided to shut the gate... ptn-ag1 (Juniper 1) is the culprit it would appear as most people with disconnect problems are on that gateway... you can find your gateway at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway

Though I'd still recommend doing some basic checks first to make sure its nothing at your end compounding an already poor situation.
N/A

solstans - Many thanks I have checked and I am on the Juniper 1 gateway (also known as 'ptn-ag1' so I guess I have to wait until they have corrected things.
N/A

I have just re-checked and I am now connected to 'Juniper 4' aka 'pte-ag2' so hopefully my troubles are over.