cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use Alcatel (Frog) Modem with 4-Port Router?

N/A

Just a few tech points I hope someone can supply answers to...

Anyone know if you can purchase a 4-Port Router and use it with a first generation, BT supplied Alcatel Modem?

Is a Firewall required on each computer plugged into the router?

What's a good, cheapish router, minimal hassle, most features, to get?

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

I can't see why you would want to, but the vigor 2200USB is the only one I'm aware of. Typical price from Seg.co.uk is £119-00. For this price you can get a good all in one solution and ditch the frog.

I'd recommend a software firewall on each anyway, but if your going for one IP then NAT does a pretty good job. Most routers now also incorporate a firewall as well.

I've used Alcatel 510v4 and a Linksys BEFDSR41W both okay. Have a look on here http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews
N/A

Thanks for reply, mate.

I can't see why you would want to,... ]

The word 'cheapish' should have given you a clue... Cheesy Limited budget means maximum use of working equipment...
BoneMan
Grafter

Limited budget means maximum use of working equipment...

Only problem is that route is more expensive than trashing your frog and buying a "proper" 4-port router (PAE-CE84) from Dabs at ~£60 Wink - assuming you've already got a NIC. Even if you've not, that's only another £20 or so - plus you've got rid of USB problems and the start of a proper network Wink Way to go Tongue

Regards,

BoneMan
N/A

Thanks Boneman Cheesy
>>Only problem is that route is more expensive <<
dhumble
Grafter

I went for the USB modem + Vigor 2200USB router solution out of preference, not cost. I had installed a few for peeps in the past and please with their performance and safeguards. It is certainly not the cheapest solution nowadays.

I chose it because I prefer the modular approach. Normal modems had a high failure rate. Mainly due tospikes on telephone or electric lines. Wouldn't hazard a guess how some cheap DSL modems will fair. But if mine goes down then it is cheaper to replace the modem than it would be for a complete DSL modem/switch/router/firewall.

So, look for a cheap DSL modem/switch/router/firewall solution and keep the frog spare for when it fails.

David Humble.
Community Veteran

I used to use an Alcatel modem, however I noticed significant problems about a year ago. It was always slow and using ICS for sharing the connection out made it worse.

I switched to a Netgear DG814 as soon as they where released, whist it's not the cpeapest router it certainly meets my needs. A lot of much cheaper and equally as robust routers now exist which you shouldn't have a problem with. I still have the usb modem as a backup, which I think I have used once to test something, but I'd never go back to that old setup.

Chris
N/A

Thanks everyone for advice-appreciated. Cheesy