Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help please?

N/A

Can you help please?

Hi all,
I am looking for some advice please.
(I moved house a month ago, and I believe that it is about 30 years old.)

I installed my ADSL modem a few days go, which is a Voyager 105, with the 2 filters supplied by Plusnet.

Since then my phone system does not work at all when the Plusnet supplied filter is plugged into the wall phone socket, which is placed right by the PC. Obviously I have put the other Plusnet filter into another phone socket that has the main base station phone attached.

For information, the phone is called a BT Diverse 4016, and I have 2 other units which just require being plugged into the mains.

When I take the filter out of the socket by the PC which has the modem attached, the phones work.
I have rung Support and was told that I would need better filters which are BT approved as my phones are causing the problem. Before I do this, and spend ‘X’ amount more on 2 better filters, any anyone confirm that the phone is the cause of the problem/interference?
The reason I am even more concerned is that my brother in law had the same problem with his adsl,(not from Plusnet), and had to have the whole of his phone wiring changed and updated to get the system to work!
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks
Ben Daniels
13 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Can you help please?

(I moved house a month ago, and I believe that it is about 30 years old.)

Hi

I had a similar problem with the wire that went from the house to the pole. If your wires have been there for 30 odd years then there's a good chance that wire will need replacing.

Considering that it has been strung between your house and the pole enduring extreme cold, blistering heat and heavy gales, it may just be on the point of failure.

When I had mine tested the telephone engineer was amazed at the state of it . It was perished and when it fell to the road it broke into small pieces. I had been able to make and recieve phone calls but my adsl connection pushed it over its limits.

This is of course only a possible explanation. It's highly likely that the fault would be due to some other cause. I only mention it because of the age of the wiring .

There is the broom test. Hang out of your window with a boom and let it rest on the wiring....if the wiring breaks then BT will replace it quickly and free of charge. I'm not recommending that you deliberately break the line just that you test it for durability.
N/A

Can you help please?

Hi,

I'm not sure the wiring would be at fault, and I would be careful about jumping to conclusions.

I assuming your phones are dect (digital) phones, and it's well known that certain filters don't work with these.

If you do have dect phones, then I'm afraid your going to have to buy 2 quality filters or at least borrow some, to check whether this resolves the issue.

Aaron
N/A

Can you help please?

........I would be careful about jumping to conclusions.

I would say on balance that there have been no conclusions jumped to.
N/A

Can you help please?

I was just trying to make the link, that just because of the age of the house, doesn't always follow that the wiring is that age as well. Cheesy

My house was built in 1920's , but I know the wiring isn't that old lol Wink
N/A

Thanks

Thanks alot for your thoughts. I will buy a couple of better filters. Do PC World do the correct ones I need?
Also as a matter of interest, I do have another phone socket which doesn't have any phones attached to it. Does this need a filter attached even though it's not in use?
thanks again
Ben
N/A

Can you help please?

PC World do sell decent filters, but you will pay more them there. Check out ADSL Nation (via google) as they do some which are even better than the PC world ones, and cost less.

Do you have sky, as you'll need to ensure that is filtered as well.

If a phone socket isn't used then you don't need a filter on it.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

Can you help please?

well my house is 1840's and I dont think they had phones back then lol (or did they hehe)

I have noticed on other forums that some dect phones are incompatible with some adsl filters, I use dect phones with excelsus filters, never had problems here or previous house

www.excelsus-tech.com

thats the home page, but I bought them through maplins, and as I said these work great with my dect phones
N/A

Re: Thanks

...... Does this need a filter attached even though it's not in use?
thanks again
Ben

The tutorial on wiring is here. It would be a good place to start looking to eliminate any anomalies with your supplied filters.

My house was built in 1920's , but I know the wiring isn't that old

I should hope that you do know that.......
Wink .. you live there!

N/A

Can you help please?

Thanks for all the advice.
I will buy a couple of better quality filters and hope that does the trick.
I'll keep you informed. :?
N/A

Can you help please?

Sorted Cheesy
I bought two filters from ADSL Nation. Ordered yesterday afternoon, received this morning !!
Put in this afternoon.Works perfectly, no interference at all.
Why don't Plusnet supply decent filters? I would have paid the extra money so I didnt have the trouble I had been though this past week!!
Thanks all.
N/A

Can you help please?

Cool,

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted :-)

I guess there are many filters out there, the ADSL nation site used to show the various ones, probably still does.

I can't answer to why Plus Net don't but I guess cost is a factor, and for many peeps they work fine. It's just when you push them like Dect Phones will. (actually it's more complicated but I won't bore lol)

Aaron
Community Veteran

Can you help please?

It's actually the equipment manufacturers not PlusNet that supply the filters I believe (they are usually included in a boxed product that the PlusNet suppliers ship to the end user) and often they are of the 'cheaper' variety which do work fine for most people but can can have problems with certain installations / phones etc.
N/A

Can you help please?

Yup, as the fellow recipient of a Voyager 105, they come straight from BT at Darlington, not from PlusNet, with the filters in the same box - and the filters have "BT" embossed on the front, so *they* reckon they're OK. :lol:

In my case, they have turned out to be fine - seven extensions here, way over the recommended REN 4, miles from the exchange (very much doubt if I'd get 1MB), but no problems, and my Panasonic DECT phone doesn't upset things at all.