cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't ping router any more

N/A

Can't ping router any more

I received my ADSL router in the post today from plus.net. The instruction leaflet that comes with it says it is a Solwise SAR110 ADSL router. After configuring it via a web browser I found I wasn't able to ping it anymore. To be precise, some pings get through but less than 10 percent. I tried changing the Ethernet cable but that did no good. I have also noticed that the housing for the Ethernet socket on the router is rather loose. This is very frustrating as it means that I can't use ADSL at all until I get it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem. Is it just a faulty router?

Raphael
P.S. All three lights are on just fine on the modem and tech support say that the router is connected to the internet. I'm just not connected to it!
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Can't ping router any more

Firstly, if you are on Xp, use network diagnostics to determine what isn't working. It's very helpful. I narrowed my problem down to not being able to ping dns servers and discovered that Plusnet's instructions were wrong. You need to enable dns and the default route.

> I received my ADSL router in the post today from plus.net. The instruction leaflet that comes with it says it is a Solwise SAR110 ADSL router. After configuring it via a web browser I found I wasn't able to ping it anymore. To be precise, some pings get through but less than 10 percent. I tried changing the Ethernet cable but that did no good. I have also noticed that the housing for the Ethernet socket on the router is rather loose. This is very frustrating as it means that I can't use ADSL at all until I get it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem. Is it just a faulty router?
>
> Raphael
> P.S. All three lights are on just fine on the modem and tech support say that the router is connected to the internet. I'm just not connected to it!

N/A

But I can't ping the *router* when I give it the IP number. So DNS isn't involved for me. I am not talking about pinging some site on the internet. I am pretty sure the router is just broken. I am waiting to receive an RMA number so that I can pay to return it to them Sad

Raphael

> Firstly, if you are on Xp, use network diagnostics to determine what isn't working. It's very helpful. I narrowed my problem down to not being able to ping dns servers and discovered that Plusnet's instructions were wrong. You need to enable dns and the default route.
>
>
>
> > I received my ADSL router in the post today from plus.net. The instruction leaflet that comes with it says it is a Solwise SAR110 ADSL router. After configuring it via a web browser I found I wasn't able to ping it anymore. To be precise, some pings get through but less than 10 percent. I tried changing the Ethernet cable but that did no good. I have also noticed that the housing for the Ethernet socket on the router is rather loose. This is very frustrating as it means that I can't use ADSL at all until I get it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem. Is it just a faulty router?
> >
> > Raphael
> > P.S. All three lights are on just fine on the modem and tech support say that the router is connected to the internet. I'm just not connected to it!
>
>

N/A

I've been having very similar problems. If you look at the discussion groups for Solwise (see adress on front of the manual) it seems lots of people are having the same problem. There is clearly some sort of generic problem with the router. This appears to arise when it is rebooted. It seems that the best workaround is, 30 seconds or so after rebooting, to unplug the router for a minute or two, then switch it back on again. That's worked for me.

> I received my ADSL router in the post today from plus.net. The instruction leaflet that comes with it says it is a Solwise SAR110 ADSL router. After configuring it via a web browser I found I wasn't able to ping it anymore. To be precise, some pings get through but less than 10 percent. I tried changing the Ethernet cable but that did no good. I have also noticed that the housing for the Ethernet socket on the router is rather loose. This is very frustrating as it means that I can't use ADSL at all until I get it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem. Is it just a faulty router?
>
> Raphael
> P.S. All three lights are on just fine on the modem and tech support say that the router is connected to the internet. I'm just not connected to it!

N/A

I also could not ping the router. Network diagnostics gave me more infomration about why this was the case.

> Firstly, if you are on Xp, use network diagnostics to determine what isn't working. It's very helpful. I narrowed my problem down to not being able to ping dns servers and discovered that Plusnet's instructions were wrong. You need to enable dns and the default route.
>
>
>
> > I received my ADSL router in the post today from plus.net. The instruction leaflet that comes with it says it is a Solwise SAR110 ADSL router. After configuring it via a web browser I found I wasn't able to ping it anymore. To be precise, some pings get through but less than 10 percent. I tried changing the Ethernet cable but that did no good. I have also noticed that the housing for the Ethernet socket on the router is rather loose. This is very frustrating as it means that I can't use ADSL at all until I get it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem. Is it just a faulty router?
> >
> > Raphael
> > P.S. All three lights are on just fine on the modem and tech support say that the router is connected to the internet. I'm just not connected to it!
>
>

N/A

> I've been having very similar problems. If you look at the discussion groups for Solwise (see adress on front of the manual) it seems lots of people are having the same problem. There is clearly some sort of generic problem with the router. This appears to arise when it is rebooted. It seems that the best workaround is, 30 seconds or so after rebooting, to unplug the router for a minute or two, then switch it back on again. That's worked for me.
>
If you check out this thread (http://solwiseforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2684) you can see that the problem is affecting a relatively small number of routers and generally when attached to certain types of autosensing switches. The work around appears to be to set the Ethernet speed to a specific value and also set the ports duplex value (rather than let these be determined automatically). Unfortunately if you have only received your router recently it is necessary to downgrade the firmware to the previous version (1.37) and then use the CLI to set these values.