Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Netgear ADSL modem to work via Ethernet

donny
Dabbler

Hi all,

I've just bought a Netgear DM602 to replace a PCI ADSL modem (I've also got a wireless router to add but one step at a time eh!)

I have followed the instructions that come with the modem but I can only get the USB connection working.

When I connect the RJ45 lead there is a lit LED on the Ethernet card and the correct light is on on the modem but when I try to log on to the modem with the browser I get a page not found error.

I would carry on using the USB port but I intend to connect a 4-port wireless router to the modem so I need to get the Ethernet working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
D
22 REPLIES
N/A

When you're connecting by TCP/IP (over Ethernet), the TCP/IP settings on your PC and on the DM602 will matter, and will need to be co-ordinated. The ADSL settings of the DM602 will not need changing, because you'll have configured them correctly when USB attached.

What are the IP addresses you're using on your PC and on the DM602?
donny
Dabbler

Not entirely sure where to look but there is a LAN IP setup screen when I'm looking at the router with the browser. It has this info:

Use Router As DHCP Server [box checked]
Starting IP address: 192.168.0.2
Ending IP address: 192.168.0.253

LAN TCP/IP Setup
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

USB TCP/IP Setup
IP Address: 192.168.0.254

When looking at the LAN's TCP/IP properties in "Network Dial-up Connections" (BTW I'm using Windows 2000), both radio buttons reading "Obtain ... automatically" are checked. When I look in the Advanced screen, the IP addresses list contains one line: "DHCP Enabled"; and the Default gateways list has: "192.168.0.1" and "192.168.0.2"

Is this enough info?

D
N/A

That information looks promising to me..

Ensure the PC is connected to the DM602 with the network cable, and reboot the PC. After it's rebooted, bring up a command prompt and enter the command ipconfig /all. For the Ethernet adapter it should show information similar to this:
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49
You may possibly have 192.168.0.1 listed under DNS.

Assuming the PC's IP address is given as 192.168.0.2, this address should not also be shown as the Default Gateway.

With these settings, you should be able to access the DM602's web pages at 192.168.0.1, and access Internet hosts by name, as normal.

I you find this isn't the case, please post the output from the ipconfig /all command.
donny
Dabbler

Hi,

When I do ipconfig /all I get:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR DM602A USB Modem
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-85-A0-01-01-09
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254

Does this look correct?
N/A

Everything except the DNS servers, they should be 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50

You can change them by doing the following :

[list=1]
  • Click "Start"
  • Click "Control Panel"
  • Double-click "Network Connections"
  • Double-click your network connection
  • In the window that pops up click "Properties"
  • Choose "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list and click "Properties"
  • Change the dot from "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" to "Use The Following DNS Server Addresses"
  • Enter "212.159.13.49" into the first box, and in the second box enter "212.159.13.50"[/listShocked]

Give that a try Smiley
  • N/A

I'm a bit puzzled by your ipconfig print. Was this obtained when the PC had an Ethernet connection to the DM602?

The underlying source of my uncertainty about this is that the DM602 seems to be suggesting it has two "LAN side" IP addresses, as indicated in your earlier post:

LAN TCP/IP Setup
    IP Address: 192.168.0.1

USB TCP/IP Setup
    IP Address: 192.168.0.254

All a bit weird, if you ask me!

I had expected to see the 192.168.0.1 address in the places you have the 192.168.0.254 address! I expect the DM602 acts as a DNS "Forwarder" so I had half-expected you might have its address under "DNS Servers", but not the "USB address" (whatever that address is supposed to mean!)

What you could try, following "eurotrain4's" lead, is to abandon DHCP configuration for the PC's TCP/IP settings, and set them all manually. So, since the DM602 had assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.5, use that, but set it manually, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.0.1, and DNS servers 192.168.0.1, 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 (you can add the extra one on the "advanced" panel).
    N/A

Your Modem has two functions one as a basic USB Modem which
    you appear to be using with no problem and one as a simple router via ethernet.
    Is there a setting called 'Router Device Mode' on your unit ? If so you
    need to enable it to function as a router.
    The unit has a DHCP function which will auto configure TCP/IP settings,
    so obtaining IP addresses automatically should work when you configure
    the unit.
    Also you need to let your operating system know thats its connecting to a 'Network' eg. in XP you could use the 'Network Setup wizard' and choose the Residential Gateway option.
    Also you would probably have to choose to 'Never Dial a Connection'.
    Your Ethernet adaptor should be appearing on your control panel under
    Network and dial up connections/Local area connections.
    donny
    Dabbler

I've tried setting the addresses manually, my ipconfig /all output is like this:

C:\>ipconfig/all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : drpc
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL
    plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-75-AA-46-29
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Unfortunately this hasn't worked!

Since the ultimate goal is to have the DM602 connected to the PC via an MR814v2 wireless router, I tried connecting the whole lot up. I managed to connect to the wireless router from the browser, so the ethernet card in the PC must be OK. But I still couldn't get it all working. I'm starting to think that the ethernet port on the modem is not working.

Any more ideas?
    N/A

What about the cable connecting the PC to the DM602? Is this the cable supplied by Netgear? Does that cable work when connected to the Wireless gateway?
    donny
    Dabbler

Yeah the cable came with the modem. I've used the same one to connect the PC to the wireless router and it worked then.
    N/A

No webpage?

No response to ping?

Well, that's the end of the road, then, as far as I can see.You're trying to contact the DM602 on the IP address it claims to be using, with the PC set up correctly, and with all other components shown to be working, so I can't see any other option but to ask for the DM602 to be replaced.
    donny
    Dabbler

Thanks for all the help anyway. I'll be sending it back.
    N/A

Hi,

Just a thought, but I presume that you have disconnected the USB connection before trying the Ethernet connection? IIRC the router won't use both at the same time.

If you have, then do you see one connection or two in the output from ifconfig?(i.e. is the PC getting muddled as to how it should communicate with the router)

On a different train of thought. You say that you're getting a 404 (Page Not Found) error and not a DNS error (probably "Page Cannot Be Displayed" in windows)? Wouldn't this seem to imply that the router has at least been found by the browser?!

Regards,
    D'essen
    donny
    Dabbler

Hi,

In answer to your points...

I've been using USB and ethernet separately: never connected at the same time.

ipconfig only shows one connection.

To confirm what the browser is seeing I did a ping and got "Request timed out". Interestingly though, I tried out two other cables and got "Destination host unreachable" instead. I've been messing about with the PC's IP setup that I kinda lost track so that may not be a significant point!

Cheers,
    D