cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't forward or reply to e-mail ?

N/A

This is really bugging me and I hope someoned out there can help.
Last week i lost the ability to send or forward mail. Composing short (2k) mails send fine but anythig larger, like a "forward" or "reply" doesn't send. This happens with Oulook and Thunderbird so can't be client dependant, likewise all SMTP settings must be correct. Draytek who make my Vigor router say there are no settings that can prevent outgoing mail and PN tech help seem flummoxed as well. I've got no firewalls enabled other than the router hardware one and have done extensive scans for worm/virus infection. My connection is also very slow at the moment (130 kps), don;t know if this is coincidental ??
Cheers
Andy
2 REPLIES
N/A

Any error messages? How big is the file before it wont send? what files are you sending ie jpg exe etc? Is it all to the same mailbox or domain?

Without any sort of error message to give me a clue I would guess its either being rejected because its to big or an exe file. Or if you have anti virus that is stopping it. Try disabling Av and then send. Can you send it via the webmail?
Are you running any P2P as if that has loads of connections open that would stop it as you may be exceeding the tcip limit in windows xp sp2.

Turn on the pc make sure nothing else is going out like windows update, av update etc and try it as soon as you startup before there are any connections at see if it works

Down load tcip view ands run it and see if there is any indication on that as it will show whats happening and all your connections. get it from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/TcpView.mspx
bigphil

Hi.
I have just resolved a similar problem to this myself. I would get server timeouts when trying to forward anything over about 300kb. This was in both Outlook and Thunderbird.
After much experimenting, my problem was solved by opening the the Instant Messaging port on my broadband router (Netgear DG834PN). I have no idea why this worked as the port has been set to closed for sometime now. But it did! Cheesy
Hope this helps......