cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect at all!

N/A

Can't connect at all!

Got the Dynamode modem from PlusNet, PC is running XP. The first time we used it, it worked perfectly, but since then, nothing. We can't get it to connect at all. We get a 721 error message (remote computer is not responding) and an icon in the task bar says that a network cable is unplugged. The modem says it's trying to initialise, but doesn't get any further than that. We've rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled as many times, but still nothing happens. Tried the BT test thing - exactly the same. Also, the modem is uncomfortably hot to the touch - is this normal?

Any ideas? I don't fancy getting charged by BT if it just turns out to be that the modem's broken!

Cheers!

Jimcat
3 REPLIES
N/A

Can't connect at all!

Don't know if it's any help to you (or even related), but my mother-in-law's Dynamode modem was drawing the full 500 mA from the on-board USB port, and it was a bit wonky in operation.

We plugged it into an external USB hub with its own power supply, and it worked straight away.

Have you got the opportunity to borrow a USB hub to try this?
N/A

Can't connect at all!

I can only echo the above regarding the USB hub.

Any electrical icon can become very hot to touch, though deaktops items like the USB modem should not.

You should makes sure there is adiquate ventilation (ie, not paper on top) and that the device is not placed on top of another device (ie, any cool air it is supposed to draw is actualy hot).

Least both your computer and the modem off for 1 hour, to allow them both to cool, before atemtping again.

Depending on the status of the warentee, you may be able to obtain a replacment.
N/A

Can't connect at all!

Thanks, will give that a go!

Jimcat