cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access microsoft.com - google.com

N/A

Can't access microsoft.com - google.com

Can anybody explain why I can access most sites via ADSL yet when I try and access microsoft.com and google.com I get 'The Page cannot be displayed'.

My DNS is setup as per PlusNet info.

This happens when using either IE or Netscape.

If I dial up my old ISP on a 5K modem I don't have this problem, which leads me to think its a problem with my adsl connection, although PlusNet support think otherwise i.e 'PCI Adsl modem and Windows XP don't work well togetherHuh'

Any help greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Can't access microsoft.com - google.com

You need to work out what the problem is. It sounds like a DNS problem. If you get the ip for the sites you cant connect to and then enter them when connected via adsl.
Microsoft.com =207.46.197.102
google.com 216.239.35.100
If it then conects ok its a dns problem.

If it doesnt connect then its somthing else like your using lmhost file which is wrong.

Depending on your os run ipconfig /all from a dos box and see if your dns is correct. I manualy set my dns to a plus net server and an other

Jan

> Can anybody explain why I can access most sites via ADSL yet when I try and access microsoft.com and google.com I get 'The Page cannot be displayed'.
>
> My DNS is setup as per PlusNet info.
>
> This happens when using either IE or Netscape.
>
> If I dial up my old ISP on a 5K modem I don't have this problem, which leads me to think its a problem with my adsl connection, although PlusNet support think otherwise i.e 'PCI Adsl modem and Windows XP don't work well togetherHuh'
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>

N/A

RE: Can't access microsoft.com - google.com

> Can anybody explain why I can access most sites via ADSL yet when I try and access microsoft.com and google.com I get 'The Page cannot be displayed'.
>
> My DNS is setup as per PlusNet info.
>
> This happens when using either IE or Netscape.
>
> If I dial up my old ISP on a 5K modem I don't have this problem, which leads me to think its a problem with my adsl connection, although PlusNet support think otherwise i.e 'PCI Adsl modem and Windows XP don't work well togetherHuh'
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>

As jan said you need to check DNS first. At the Msdos prompt ping the ip addresses and then ping the names. Do you get a result?

Also if you read some of the posts there appears to be a DNS problem with the plusnet servers but not with everyone. Try manually entering the Plusnet server addresses rather than using autosense. If still no joy change the manual servers to Microsofts 213.120.62.100 & 213.120.62.102 instead of plusnets.

I think its unlikely to be an incorrect value in your Hosts or LMhosts files as you don't get the problem on a dialup (you did use the same computer didn't you). Suggest you check them anyway just in case. If you don't know they are in your windows directory and are without an extension. Open them in Notepad and edit out any reference to the offending sites then save and reboot.

Hope this helps