cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone please explain this usage problem????

snapper_mart
Grafter

Help! I am abit confused here. Reading the plus net usgae policy, It says I am allowed on my 2MB Premier account to download a maximum 0f 30 GB at peak times and a maximum of 100GB anytime. OK, fine.
It also staes on the page that there are '3 time zones' 8am-4pm, 4pme -midnight & midnight-8am and then states that the 'peak' period is the 4pm-midnight slot. It continues that if you exceed the above limits then restrictions will apply, fine, i can accept that.
Now to the crucnch. I have signed up to a newgroup trial service and have downloaded so far this month as follows'

8am to 4pm usage this month: 10.76GB
4pm to midnight usage this month: 16.13GB
Total usage this month: 34GB

So according to Plus Nets own system I have only downloaded 16Gb at Peak times(4pm-12am), yet I received a warning email and my download speeds from this news server have slowed right down since i received it (my normal average usage is around 9GB, this is one of very few times I have ever exceeded that amount).

How can I tell if a restriction has been placed on my connection? and why an email when I have only downloaded 16GB at peak times?Huh
8 REPLIES
N/A

they are now defining peak time as 8am to midnight.....

(even though this is contradicted in the sustainable usage policy - i think - which suggests using usenet/p2p during offpeak hours and then quotes midnight to 4pm as offpeak).

so your peak usage, according to the changed times, is over 25GB.

i've had the same problem. and the only answer i get is that it's always been in the terms and conditions since august 2005. funny, then, that lots of people have only recently been getting warning emails.
Community Veteran

The emails warning of exceeding usage limits have only been sent out in the last 10 days which is why you have only seen then recently.

Also you have both misunderstood the peak times due to there being 2 separate allowances in existance, both using a different peak period (for the moment - see below).

The SUP still exists and includes ALL traffic in it;s calculations. It also has a and has a peak period of 4pm to midnight. SUP for broadband premier upto 2Mbs has a peak allowance of 30GB and a total allowance of 100GB per month. This is explained here.
l
P2P/UseNet/FTP now has it's own usage limits before speed restrictions are imposed for this type of data only. It uses a peak time of 8am to midnight and you have a 'clean' peak time allowance of 20GB/month during that period. Clean meaning not affected by traffic shaping. Once you exceed that figure, traffic shaping is applied during it's peak time to slow it down.
This allowance is explained here.

Anything counted in the 2nd is also counted in the 1st. They are not separate allowances.

The P2P/Usenet/FTP peak period will change to match the SUP (4pm -> midnight) once it's system is fully automated. This is planned for the end of feb.

The VMBU is a little confusing in it's separate peak periods because both include total traffic so it's not actually possible to see how much P2P etc you have used.

So the reason the OP has had traffic shaping applied is because they have probably used over 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP within the 25GB that the 2 peak time totals add up to.

The VMBU can only be used as a guide to how much P2P etc you have used.
snapper_mart
Grafter

usage

well, there's nothing like a nice simple system.....and thats NOTHING like a like nice simple system!!!!
N/A

Humz, I am new around here because I just signed up yesturday, the download restrictions in general don't worry me too greatly as other parts of the service were more important in making my choice to move.

However I must say that in my oppinion if you are going to turn around and impose a limit on the dowloads by one specific traffic type then you also need to fix your control panel to say that, you otherwise cause alot of trouble for yourself and slow down the support system which gains loads in extra "Why is my connection slow" tickets, this annoys customers as it slows down responces. And when your done with the annoyed customers you get the confused customers (Everyone else) also.
donj53
Grafter

Maybe I'm dim but the 30Gb peak time usage limit seems to now be a 20Gb limit and the times for this are extended.Sounds like a bum deal to me.
N/A

Re: usage

well, there's nothing like a nice simple system.....and thats NOTHING like a like nice simple system!!!!

Exactly - "SUP" "VMBU" - who knows or cares what that stuff means, just give us something that makes sense... :|
N/A

Iv been with plusnet for some time now and recently recieved an email letting me know that traffic shaping had been lifted from my account.I didnt even know there was such a thing let alone that my account was being throttled.Plusnet will be losing a few members over this.
The strange thing is that now the restrictions on my account have been lifted its slower than ever !.
Up untill 3 weeks ago I had nothing bad to say about plusnet but now I wouldnt recommend them to anyone !.
N/A

Another Customer lost :(

I have been with PlusNet for a few years, and introduced many friends and family members to this ISP. However, this bandwidth taxation contravenes with everything I signed up for originally when choosing "Premier". There is nothing premier about the Premier service that wishes me to stay or pay for.

I will be migrating to an ISP with greater competence within the following month. Furthermore, I'll be saving myself some loose change in the move.

Sorry PlusNet, two thumbs down for this bad move.