cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain how this happens...

flicker
Grafter

In words of one syllable preferrably! The past few days, having experienced no previous problems with my set up since I upgraded to 8mb Max (well I get about 6.5 but no complaints)I get the little symbol in my tool tray saying I'm connected to the internet 54.0 mpbs, signal excellent. I can send and receive emails, but if I open my browser I can't get any webpages to load, and it says I'm not connected to the internet? :? I then have to go in the other room, turn off my wireless router modem, and let it reboot, then sometimes I still need to "repair" the connection as it says it's limited, but other times after it's reconnected me, everything is fine. I really don't understand how I can do the email thing if I'm not connected? And it's a tad irritating to say the least because last night it happened when I was mid-conversation with a friend on Yahoo, and by the time I'd been and re-booted, they'd given up and gone to bed! :lol:
20 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hmm, do you notice if anything else works or doesn't work as the case may be? I'd have said it was likely a dropping connection, either broadband or wireless, but with email working that can't be the case. That's why it would be useful to know if anything else works.

I'd suggesting running a tracert/mtr the next time it happens and see what that gives:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/34
flicker
Grafter

Okay thanks, I'll try that next time. I've read through the tutorial and saved it to notepad, because obviously I won't be able to get online here to read what to do. :lol:
flicker
Grafter

Right, it's just happened. I followed the instructions in the tutorial to do a ping and a tracert. This is what I got -

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jan>ping www.jolt.co.uk
Ping request could not find host www.jolt.co.uk. Please check the name and try a
gain.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jan>
C:\Documents and Settings\Jan>
C:\Documents and Settings\Jan>tracert www.jolt.co.uk
Unable to resolve target system name www.jolt.co.uk.

So none the wiser really, is that what would be expected?

Anyway, when I lose my internet, I looked at the wireless router, and it shows steady lights for the Power, Status and ADSL, but the WLAN light is flickering. So I tried to connect to Google on my browser having then connected and enabled the ethernet connection on my laptop, and it still doesn't work. Get the error message not connected to the internet! So this time, instead of re-booting the DLink, I just pulled the broadband cable from the socket and plugged it back in, and it worked straight away.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help with what the fault is - would it be my actual broadband or a fault on the router? :?
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

If the WLAN light is flashing then it sounds like your broadband is dropping.

Can you post your router stats here- particularly SNR, line attenuation and sync speed.

This tutorial will help you optimise your internal wiring- in particular check that all telephones and devices using your telephone line (fax machines, burglar alarms, Sky boxes) are filtered.

Is there a pattern to the WLAN drops? Does anything happen before the light starts to flash, or does this happen more at a particular time of day?

When you say that e-mail still works, do you actually receive e-mail when this happens, or are you just sending them?
flicker
Grafter

Since the last message, it's happened three more times, just now being one of them. I have checked all the wiring connections, I had all this bother last year, and bought a new wireless router because of it. BT came and found a fault, installed a proper broadband box so I don't use a filter, its already done. Since that time I've had no problems, nothing has changed, no different equipment, exactly the same set up. So why it is now playing up?

Re the question about does anything happen before the light starts to flash, I'm not sure, because my wireless router is in the bedroom, and I'm normally in the living room, so I'm not looking at it, I only know when I lose my connection. Also, occasionally, but not everytime, I lose my connection when the phone rings, which is exactly what was happening when I had all these faults last year.

I can receive email, just had four come in. But when I open the browser and attempt to view webpages, I get a message in the tool tray saying "Detecting Proxy Settings" the Wireless Connection says Connected, Speed 54.0, signal Excellent. Then the webpage comes up saying I'm not connected to the internet! How can I receive email if I'm not connected? The worst time this happens is in the evening when I'm chatting to my friends on Yahoo conference. I have to come into the other room unplug the router, wait for it to boot up again, connect and ask to be taken back into conference. All in all takes about 10 minutes and is very annoying!
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Do you know if this happen when you are connected via a wired connection as opposed to being connected wirelessly? If email is coming through, then it would probably suggest some kind of dodgy DNS issue rather than an actual synchronisation drop.

How do you bring the connection back? Do you have to reboot your router or does it come back automatically?
flicker
Grafter

Hi James, I have to actually turn the power off on my router and re-boot, if I leave it, then it does not re-connect, I've tried that, once when it lost connection late at night, so I went to bed, but in the morning, I still couldn't connect. I only normally ever go wireless as I use a laptop, although I tried plugging in with the ethernet cable when I was in the same room, but it doesn't make any difference.

I've just looked at my router settings. Now they are way beyond me to understand really, but on the DNS configuration page it says Use Auto Discovered DNS Server only, and the two boxes for User configuration for Preferred DNS and Alternative DNS are blank. Does that sound okay? :?
James
Grafter

Hi there,

It sounds fine, but it might be worth trying to added two of these addresses as assigned DNS servers both on your router and in the connection settings on your laptop:

Primary DNS Server 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50
Optional tertiary DNS server 212.159.6.9

Let me know if you need any further instructions on sorting this out and if you still encounter problems.
Community Veteran

just to point out that quite a few links in the tutorial are broken: linx, winmtr and plusnetMonitor
flicker
Grafter

Thanks, I've added the first two settings into the boxes on my router settings page, but I'm not sure how to do it on connection settings on the laptop? :?
James
Grafter

Not a problem Smiley

If you:

- Goto your start menu
- Select Network connections
- Right click on your wireless connection (it will need to be disconnected)
- Select properties
- Highlight TCP/IP in the box in the middle and click on properties

You can then set the DNS settings in there.
flicker
Grafter

Thanks, done that. Had a huge panic on just now though because I then couldn't get any broadband whatsoever and I didn't write down what the settings were on before I altered them Shockedops: I've had to reboot twice and all appears okay at present, so fingers crossed. Will no doubt be back, being the pessimist I am. :roll:

Thanks for the quick help though, much appreciated. Smiley
flicker
Grafter

Ah well, back to the drawing board..

All fine last night, no loss of connection. Switched on this morning, and received three emails (all spam as usual..) Opened my browser - detecting proxy settings - looking up website - page cannot be displayed - not connected to the internet.

Rebooting the wireless router is the only solution. It's just done it again too, which was maddening as I do online quizzes where you need to be fast, and I'd just pressed Play....

Any more ideas guys?
James
Grafter

I was about to suggest trying to use an alternate browser, when I saw that you had tried pinging when your connection is playing up. When it next happens can you try "ping 213.162.97.66" and see if you get responses from that?