cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my staic IP be changed??

N/A

Is it possible to either change from a static ip to dynamic, or to be reissued with a new IP address??

I have recently been having some security issues, despite having a firewall and wondered if either of the above is possible...

Are there ANY disadvantages to having a dynamic IP?

Cheers
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dynamic IPs are not yet available so that answers one of your questions.

Your static IP can be changed but you have to have a very good reason for doing so. If it is due to security issues this needs to be explained. PlusNet normally put the old IPs on a do not use list (so no-one else gets it) if they have been changed so the reason has to be good enough to take the IP out of service.

Just raise a contact us ticket and explain why you want it changed.
N/A

as a new user of plus.net, and as a result a fixed IP address, I was concerned about security too. Could you give us a brief heads up on whats happening to you and if there is anything we can do to avoid the same issues?
N/A

tbh..

uruser.plusnet.com resolves to ur ip any how so there is no reall benifit from havin a dynamic ip for that reason.

the only reasonthat i can see you need youri p chaingin is if you come under a dDoS and thus need to be able go a new identity online
N/A

People out there pay extra to have a static ip with other isp's it allows you to do more with your connection with ease. For example if I want to put up a small teamspeak server so that me and a friend and use voice chat over network games then I can and he only needs to have the one IP address etc..

Like has already been mentioned having a daynamic ip doesnt really provide you much protrection from anything apart from DDoS attacks and if you are being hit by them PN will change your ip for you.

I have seen somepeople trying to get IP's changed because their ip was banned from a certrain service online for them breaking its rules. But PN shouldnt change your ip for that if you break the rules and get banned someplace its not hard for them to reban your new ip or your entire host mask and or ISP.
N/A

If you think you're getting lots of break-in attempts (or whatever they're called) chances are this is just normal "background" internet traffic which these days happens to almost everyone, and doesn't necesarrily (sic) mean you are being targeted specifically. Just make sure you have a decent firewall and it's configured properly.