cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use a BT openworld Intel 3220?

N/A

I am a complete novice.
A friend has given me a modem he doesn't need - a intel pro/dsl 3220 modem - which he used on BT openworld.

It would be nice to use this on my second PC in another room but it will not install properly. Is this because it is tied in some way to BT openworld??

Many thanks.

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Duplocated thread removed]
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The drivers/setup may have been customised for BTO but this would be unlikely.

It's a USB 1.1 device and supports PPoA so should work fine.

What windows version are you using and what chipset does your motherboard use. Some chipsets have power problems with USB modem devices.

What problems are you getting. Any error messages during the install etc.

Have you tried the latest drivers from intel: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=887

[append]
Hmm, looking at the drivers it mentions BT openworld which may suggest that modem was designed specifically for BTO operation. But try the drivers anyway and see what happens. It also says here that the drivers only work for BTO so you maybe out of luck - certainly PLusNet do not support this device so they cannot help.

You could try searching google to see if anyone else has it working for other ISPs
Community Veteran

Ok try this driver:
http://list.driverguide.com/matches.php?ids[0]=76167&ids[1]=125093&from_ums=1r on driverguides.com. login is driver, password is all.
N/A

Thankyou Peter. Cheesy

Yes I was finding that the modem was just getting tied to the BT openworld stuff.

This driver has worked and solved the problem - your help is much appreceiated - I now have two modems and two pc's.

One further question though - is it possible (and within the rules) to have both PC's running off the same connection at the same time?

Thanks again

Stu
Community Veteran

One further question though - is it possible (and within the rules) to have both PC's running off the same connection at the same time?

No, only one can be connected to ADSL and logged in at any one time.

If you want both PCs to communicate over the ADSL link you have several options (all involve buying extra kit, you cannot network your 2 modems together) - I assume they are both in the same room...

1 - buy 2 network cards and an xover lan cable and link the 2 PCs together. Then ditch one of the modems and use ICS (internet connection sharing) on the one with the modem still connected. It does mean both PCs must be on for the 'slave' PC (without the modem) to access the net.

2 - buy a 4 port ADSL modem/router/switch like the DG834, 2 network cards and 2 straight lan cables and connect both PCs to the router - this is the best solution but the most costly.
N/A

Shocked
many thanks.

stu