cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i upgrade for free?

N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

I am currently on a 512 home premier 12 month account which i signed up for in July of '04. Would it be possible for me to change my account to a broadband premier account which costs the same but gives me 4x the speed?
20 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Can i upgrade for free?

You will automatically be upgraded to 2Mb (if your line can support it) by the end of the summer, free of charge.
Or you can pay £14.99 and get upgraded now, so jumping the queue.

Either way, you will continue to pay £21.99 a month. Tongue
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

It kinda sucks that i've payed my bills on time for a year and yet i'm going to be on a slower speed than someone signing up today, yet paying the same price.
Not very fair to loyal customers is it? As far as the queue is concerned, i have a friend on the other side of the road who uses AOL (a company i originally decided against when deciding who my ISP would be) and he's already been upgraded to 2mb.
Plusnet should allow customers like me (on a contract for a service that no longer exists) to cross over to the new service free of charge. Come July i'll be seriously considering whether to stay with plusnet or not!
hitachi
Grafter

Can i upgrade for free?

If Plusnet regrade you individually it cost them £15.00, if they use the bulk regrade scheme bt regrade all the plusnet users on an exchange at the same time for £5.00 each.
With 100.000 customers it is obvious why plusnet want to use the bulk regrade or charge you the £15.00.
With a new customer it costs the same to provision them on the fastest speed as the slowest speed so they therefore supply the fastest.
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

Come July i'll be seriously considering whether to stay with plusnet or not!

By then you may have already been upgraded to up to 2 meg anyway.

You can get the faster speed now by paying £14.99, new customers are paying an activation fee which is a lot more than £14.99 (or use the free activation offer and are then on a 5 year contract with plusnet)
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

What i don't understand is why BT, if they're being paid in advance to perform these upgrades by various companies, go to my local exchange and upgrade BT customers, AOL customers etc and don't bother to do the Plusnet customers at the same time. Surely it would be more efficient to do the plusnet customers at the same time rather than returning at a later date :?
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

Come July i'll be seriously considering whether to stay with plusnet or not!

By then you may have already been upgraded to up to 2 meg anyway.

You can get the faster speed now by paying £14.99, new customers are paying an activation fee which is a lot more than £14.99 (or use the free activation offer and are then on a 5 year contract with plusnet)

The point isn't whether i'll already have been upgraded but more to the point that people are getting 4x the speed i have at the same price when i've been paying for 10 months! As for the activation fee, i already paid that when i signed up in the first place which kind of makes that arguement redundant.
If Plusnet have already payed for my upgrade as part of a bulk payment to BT then why didn't BT upgrade my line when they did all the other company's customers in my area in late April?
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

Your activation fee at the time was activation of a 512k line. I do understand what you're saying, and how you feel but thats just the way of things in an ever expanding industry such as broadband provision.

Plus have paid out half a million pounds to have all of its current customers upgraded to 2meg but as they have 100,000 customers this can't be performed straight away to all their customers.

As for why BT didn't perform the upgrade to plusnets customers, BT have a single schedule for exchange upgrades, AFAIK it's not based on individual ISPs. If some people on your exchange have been upgraded already and you haven't then I'd suggest that either there is more than 1 DSLAM that needs to be upgraded (and you are unfortunate enough to be on one thats not been upgraded in April), or that your exchange needs more than one visit (in which case it will be at least three weeks in between visits).
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

As for why BT didn't perform the upgrade to plusnets customers, BT have a single schedule for exchange upgrades, AFAIK it's not based on individual ISPs. If some people on your exchange have been upgraded already and you haven't then I'd suggest that either there is more than 1 DSLAM that needs to be upgraded (and you are unfortunate enough to be on one thats not been upgraded in April), or that your exchange needs more than one visit (in which case it will be at least three weeks in between visits).

Just seems strange to me that a guy who's connection comes off the same pole has his upgrade already and i don't. I'd have thought there would be no work to do on the line between my home and the post.
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

The work is unrelated to which phone poll you are on. ALl the work is done at your local telephone exchange, where they ammas thousands of lines, not just yours and your neighbours.

When you are connected, you are not assigned to a DSLAM (where a exchange has more than one) based on your location.

IE. Just because two people in a street have ADSL, it does not mean that are on the same DSLAM.

Even if they are on the same DSLAM and it requires multiple visits, then you may be unlucky enough to find that one of you has to wait until a second visit.

I have a few questions for you though, to see if I can find out why your are being upgraded seperatly.

What ISP is your neighbour with?
What exchange are you on? (the name as given in the PlusNet exchange checker. Link in my signature).

You say you started with PlusNet in July 2004. Did you pay for activation, or did you migrate in?
If you migrated, when did you first signup for ADSL?

When did you neightbour first get ADSL?

From these questions, I should be able to give you information on why you havn't been upgraded.
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

OK Acarr, here goes....
My neighbour is with AOL ,
My exchange code is SWFCJ (DSLAM ID: FCJ-ADSL-101),
Plusnet was my first ADSL supplier and i signed up for a 12 month contract paying the requisite amount for activation given that i was using my own modem.
My neighbour received ADSL 1 week after me.

I've also been on to BT who say there isn't a number in the whole exchange that's incapable of receiving 2mbit, they advised me to get in touch with Plusnet.....who promptly told me that i should use the BTSpeedtest 3 times at 20 minute intervals. Of course, the results say 576 downstream....I just don't understand. I appreciate any light you can shed on this.
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

After looking at the information, I need to find out a little more on the way AOL upgraded customers.

I am unsure if they used the mass-upgrade approach, or did as BT and regraded all customers.
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

Well i know that my friend had no idea it had taken place until all of a sudden he was downloading at a phenominal rate.
To think, i took the micky out of him for signing up with AOL in the beginning....As you can imagine, i'm being paid back ten-fold now Shockedops:
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

Are plusnet trying to tick me off?
I now find that the ongoing ticket with my questions as to why i'm unable to recieve the speed upgrade has been closed by customer support!
OH YEAH! THAT'S THE WAY TO KEEP A CUSTOMER!
N/A

Can i upgrade for free?

PlusNet can't close tickets you yourself have create, unless it has been responded to, and you have not replied within 10 days.