cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend hardware?

N/A

Hi folks,
My father is looking to move to ADSL in a couple of weeks and I've made sure he's going to choose plus.net like myself
Wink
Basically, his system comprises of a new PC running Windows XP 64-bit edition, and a laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2. He's after an ADSL wireless router, and connections for both his PC and his laptop. We're not sure a PCI card can be added to the laptop, so ideally we'd like a USB-based device if one exists.
Can anyone recommend anything for us to look at? Bear in mind the product(s) will need 64-bit drivers, so if anyone has any experience of this then advice would be greatfully received.
Thanks in advance!
1 REPLY
N/A

right: step one, install windows 32bit on the 64bit box, as 64bit is SO unsupported right now it isnt even funny, there are no AV's no firewalls no spyware, no emulation tools available, very few printer / scanner / cammera drivers, very few sound drivers blah blah blah, and it doesnt even give that greater perfomance gain yet, so change it back.

as to the pci card in a laptop, no you cant, but you can get PCMCIA cards that slot into the side of them which can add wireless, or you can get a usb dongle to do the same thing (ebuyer sells both)

for the wireless router look at linksys or netgear, they both do good products.