cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help?

N/A

Can anyone help?

Just got my line active for adsl and have a Fujitsu fdx310 usb modem, seemed to install ok and connects but the connection fails after a minute or so (the power and data lights on the modem go out. My comp hangs when re-starting.....any suggestions?

thanks
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Can anyone help?

> Just got my line active for adsl and have a Fujitsu fdx310 usb modem, seemed to install ok and connects but the connection fails after a minute or so (the power and data lights on the modem go out. My comp hangs when re-starting.....any suggestions?
>
> thanks

Have you tryed it in diffrent USB ports,
Which operating system are you using,

Is the Modem externally powered, or from the USB port, It could be windows possibally turning the USB port off to save power.

Have you been in the BIOS, and set plug and play to YES, (if u got the setting)and checked the USB settings,

Have you tryed Windows Update, (if windows 98 me xp), If you using XP, have you got the correct drivers,

What Temprature is your CPU running at, ? It is to hot, it can crash the system,
N/A

RE: Can anyone help?

Hi,

quite a few USB modems draw slightly more power than the USB specification allows (500mA) - the result is that the USB port gets turned off a few seconds after the connection is established, due to the mainboard drivers sensing an overload.

The simple cure is a cheap PCI USB card - these can generally provide up to 700mA or so before tripping out.

A powered hub may work, but I know people who have tried this without success, but a seperate card has then worked.