cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help with this?

pushbikes-uk
Grafter

I have a Netgear router recently installed (before that I had a Linksys). My problem is I cannot connect to MSN on my iMac (could previously) it just says
"sign in to MSN messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable"

Now I know this is not true as my daughter sits on her windows PC half the night talking to her friends.

If the firewall on the roouter was blocking the port surely non of us (3 computers in the house) would be able to connect to MSN?!

Anyone any idea what it could be? (I tried uninstalling and re-installing MSN on the Mac)
4 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I've generally found this to be a temporary issue with the MSNM server (even in cases where other machines on my network could access it). However, you may also want to check;

1. Your firewall (if applicable)
2. Any sec software you are running (if applicable)
3. Your HOSTS file (if applicable)

... to make sure they aren't blocking it Wink
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

HOSTS file?

Its been happening for a couple of weeks now I put it down to the LLU disconnect problem but now realise iot is something else entirely.

Thanks
Lee
MysteryFCM
Grafter

The HOSTS file is a file on the mac/PC that (amongst other things) protects against malicious websites, adverts etc, and helps the system quickly resolve a host to it's IP.

http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=22-01-2006

I don't use a MAC myself, but according to the following it's in your "Preferences" folder;

http://accs-net.com/hosts/hostsformac.html

If you don't have one there, we can safely rule it out as a cause Wink
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

Hi
Have just checked and as far as I can tell I do'nt have a HOSTs file